• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD's low power lineup and 45nm.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kuroimaho

AMD to update its low-power CPU lineup
Monica Chen, Taipei; Joseph Tsai, DIGITIMES [Tuesday 17 June 2008]

AMD is planning to launch several low-power triple-core and quad-core CPUs during the second half of 2008 all featuring a TDP of 65W, according to sources at motherboard makers.

Two low-power triple-core Phenom CPUs – X3 8250e and 8450e – will feature core frequencies of 1.9GHz and 2.1GHz, respectively, and both include an L2 cache of 1.5MB and L3 cache of 2MB. The two CPUs will enter DVT in July and start mass production at the beginning of August. If the process goes smoothly, the two CPUs should appear in the channel by mid to late August, the sources said.

Meanwhile the company will launch the low-power quad-core Phenom X4 9350e in the third quarter and another model in the fourth quarter, the sources added, and in the first quarter of 2009, AMD will begin to roll out its 45nm quad-core CPUs (Propus) targeting core frequencies between 2.3-2.6GHz.

AMD also plans for the Phenom X4 9850 (2.5GHz) and 9950 (2.6GHz) to enter DVT in the third quarter, and ship in the fourth quarter, and is scheduling to launch two 45nm Phenom X4 CPUs by the end of the fourth quarter with core frequencies between 2.4-2.8GHz, the sources revealed.

In other news, AMD has given notice that final orders for the Phenom X4 9100e will be taken at the end of the second quarter, while the Phenom X3 8250e and X4 9150e will both enter final ordering around the end of the fourth quarter, the sources detailed. Orders for the dual-core Athlon X2 4050e are also scheduled to stop at the end of the third quarter.

AMD declined the opportunity to respond to report saying it cannot comment on unannounced products.

Source

Those 45nm clocks seem to be a bit conservative.

AMD long ago said they would be targeting whatever the 65nm clocks are at the time of their 45nm launch. With the 9950 rumored, that would make sense as their 65nm X4 lineup will range from 2.2GHz to 2.6GHz at that time.

We'll probably see higher-clocked versions later on depending on how hot the 45nm chips get and how the process refinements go.

K10 has a lot of potential, just looking at it, it is a great architecture. And AMD themselves said that that enormous potential couldn't be realised with the current 65nm process. Whilst Core is pretty much at it's peak, K10 has a lot left. I think we won't see the best of what it's got until the partnership with IBM pays off and we get our hands on the Hi-K Phenoms.

I think propus will provide enough performance for gamers with the declining importance of the CPU thencqn switch to Bulldozer next, although the duals might pull it out until HK K10 then even better.

On the other hand K10 better have some awesome potential if it takes another 1.5 years to reach it, will be on time for Westmere.

I am hesitant to switch over to Intel, but I will be building myself a computer after July 15th when I receive my paycheck. To my knowledge, it doesn't look like AMD has anything that competes with the e8400 . If there's no drops in price or anything before then, I'll have to go with the e8400. I was really hoping for the 45nm AMD's sometime in the summer :(. I am also a little scared to make such a huge jump in performance from my current pc. :)

They are closing the gap behind Intel to one year, half a year in one go wasn't possible, maybe at 32nm.

Intel is a safe bet now, get a dual and 3.5G can be done on stock V, in a year or two when software transition is over can get a quad for cheap.
Mobos never had such a long life as now with the dual quad upgrade path.

Well AMD has pretty much given up at the high end, which is not necessarily a bad thing.

I think they learned their lesson with promising too much speed.

I just hope they overclock nicely or they'll be kinda worthless...(to us on these forums anyways). If they are priced extremely cheap they could be a big hit.

That's how AMD's graphics department has been operating. Be affordable and dominate the mainstream.

9850 is a nice chip. Having gamed on my 4300 at stock speeds, at 2.4ghz, at 2.7 and at 2.96 and having gamed on my Opteron 180 I just don't see the need for anything more than a 2.4ghz Core 2 Duo 4mb cache worth of performance to get the best numbers unless you play Crysis.

The Opteron 180 at stock 2.4ghz runs about like a 1.8ghz C2D, which is what the 4300 is stock. The Phenom's pretty much run clock for clock with the C2D once you get 2.4ghz on them. Intel's sweet spot for performance is about 3-3.2ghz. Anything more is best kept for folding and now even that is retarded with the CUDA client.

So, while kudos to the C2D tech for spawning a great platform the AMD is still comparable and my next gaming PC will be an AMD. I've had more troubles with my Intel than my AMD also. 1 year into the OC and my system became way too unstable. My last best hope without buying a new CPU is upgrading my PSU in hopes that the midgrade PSU just can't deliver the constant power anymore.

While my Opteron 180 system is still kicking strong. Hell I even play AoC at 1280x1024 with every single slider turned on, 8xAA and 16xAF and still get 30fps expept in cities where its about 22. My C2D gets those numbers with 2xAA and 8xAF at 1680x1050 with a few sliders turned down.

As long as AMD can keep moving forward, more cores, more cache and get to 3+Ghz without needing a small nuke plant on your desk to run it then I'm in.

Back