• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ammonia coolingI

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Robert17

Premium Member
I've probably done too much homework on the possiblity of ammonia cooling. The specific heat of ammonia is what got my attention. Since a trip down the intertubes it looks like the proper components would be about twice the price to cool as the cost of a high end system.

Which leads to the question: has anyone done this? If so, what were the results? I can understand from a cost standpoint why not, but from a performance standpoint it looks appealing.

I defer to the experts.

it is alot harder to compress and therefore takes more compressor to gain those abilities of said ammonia. Look up "chillers" for industrial cooling, you can find quite a bit of info on it.
Last but not least, it could be devastating if a leak developed while you were in the room with it. Been there done that (used to do some work for Tyson foods who use this cooling type at many of their plants.

Dejo pretty much covered it.
You could run a water/ammonia mix in your water loop, but it may eat things and a leak could be very bad news indeed.

Back