• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Amount of thermal paste on 2600k?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mchl

Hi Everyone,

I just ordered my parts for my upcoming beast of a cpu and was luring on your forums for quite a while since this will be my very first time in building it by myself.

Now i was curious since i couldn't find it anywhere, on how much thermal paste i should apply to the new sandy bridge 2600k, i ordered a venomous x-rt thermal right for cooling and want to try to OC to around 4,6 .. 4,9 max.

I've read allot of your guides and threads on how to build but i couldn't find exact information on how to and how much paste i should apply on the new chips.

Sorry for the newbie questions! Everyone's gotta learn right!? :D

same as you would use for any other chip, a thin line or a drop about the size of a BB

Thanks for the google link what a handy site! ;) but all jokes aside, i was told that this particular chip only needed a very very thin layer of paste. Sorry i didn't mention this, this is also the reason i was asking it here, since i know there are people that are overclocking the chip and was curious on how much they applied ( if it differs from the regular ), i think i'm just a bit nervous cuz its my first baby :D
Thanks for the quick reply's.

Everyone will have different methods....

- Blob of TIM the size of a grain of rise in the center of the CPU.
- Line across the center of the cpu.
- X from corner to corner of the cpu.
- Spreading the TIM on the CPU with a credit card or anything like a credit card.
- Using TIM that does not require special aplication (see Indigo Extreme)

In the end; it all boils down to three things:
* Whichever method gives you the best results for your particular setup is the "Best" result for you.
* Good TIM does make a difference.
* Less is more -> The less TIM you use while still getting full cpu coverage the better.

A video showing the blob and line methods of TIM application...

all chips should have a very thin layer of TIM, it's just the right way to apply TIM...it doesn't conduct heat as well as metal, and thermodynamics dictates that the thinner a thermally insulating material is the better the heat transfer through it will be.

Thanks very much for the information ! As a newbie this is golden. Cant wait until it arrives !

Thanks for the google link what a handy site! ;) but all jokes aside, i was told that this particular chip only needed a very very thin layer of paste. Sorry i didn't mention this, this is also the reason i was asking it here, since i know there are people that are overclocking the chip and was curious on how much they applied ( if it differs from the regular ), i think i'm just a bit nervous cuz its my first baby :D
Thanks for the quick reply's.

Just think about it for a minute. Why would it require any less? It only exists to fill the spaces between the top o' the processor and the heatsink. Understandable that you are nervous though, I was the first time I did it. I still am when messing with other people's equipment.

Oh... and one more thing... I don't want to sound like a fanboy here, but IC Diamond has been extremely effective for me.
And if your "Google Fu" is just a little bit over average you'll be able to find a way to get a free sample of it so you can test it out... *cough* *cough* evga forums *cough* *cough* send a pm to Falcom_CMH *cough* *cough*... I did a few weeks ago and got my sample syringe with enough ICD in it for at least four or five applications... They made a customer out of me!!! That's for sure.

Sorry to rez this, but how much of the die needs to be covered? Any areas in particular? (As opposed to smack in the centre for most single core cpus as the videos seem to be focused on)

just do a blob and let the heatsink spread the paste...shouldn't be different from any other processor.

I always place a small amount of thermal paste in the middle, then spread it out with a card in a thin layer. When I place the heatsink onto the chip I always move the heatsink around a little bit in a very slight circular motion in order to get rid of air bubbles. It's never failed me so far.

I think the dye is pretty rectangular (comparatively speaking), but if you cover the whole of the chip it shouldn't matter where the dye lies...

Ok cool, I've just noticed my 3rd core is ~10oC hotter than the 1st. I thought I had to make sure I covered the top half or something like that.

You might want to check your TIM spread. Remove the HS, and look at the imprint left. You want a circle that extends to the edges of the IHS, and doesn't really smoosh out the sides much if at all. The corners of the IHS are typically still bare.

But if you didn't screw the HS down evenly the TIM may have all gone in 1 direction instead of evenly spreading.

Practice a couple times to see if you can get a good spread before calling it good. The Intel sensors can be pretty inaccurate, so don't use that as your sole guide.

I would remove that link if I were you. I received an infraction because I posted a letmegooglethatforyou link.:mad::mad:

sanstitreao.png

Back