• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Android app to shutdown TV box

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Time-Bandit

Hi all,

After an apk that can shutdown/turn off my TV box. Reason I am asking is I normally will click the reboot apk (clears memory of any running processes) then flick the switch at the wall and no issues 99% of the time however a couple of times my SD card has been corrupted and having to reformat and reload the card with data is a pain.

Just curious what apks people are using to safely get their android box turned off. The power button the remote just turns the box off instantly so I don't use this for the very fact it could corrupt my data. Essentially I have a 320GB HDD and 32GB SD card for this TV box. The SD card will be just to hold apks/backups of my Kodi setup on then the 320GB HDD I will load up with games I intend on playing on various emulators movies/tv series.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Bandit.

The power button the remote just turns the box off instantly so I don't use this for the very fact it could corrupt my data.
That's probably not true but killing power at the wall sure could.

Understand for ANY wireless remote for ANY device to work, the device MUST be able to listen for any signal from the remote to power up. So when you press the power button on a remote to shutdown your TV, cable box, game console, DVD/Blu-Ray player, etc., what you are really doing is telling the device to go into standby mode. That's a good thing. While the display may instantly go dark, the system is "gracefully" saving and properly closing out files, putting the system into stand-by.

Flicking the switch at the wall with any computing device is about the worse thing you can do (power wise) to any computing device - especially storage devices like drives and SD cards. If you are going to do this, put the device in stand-by mode first by shutting it down via the remote. Then and only then (and after a few seconds), flick the wall switch.

Ok, so what I did in android menu on this tv box was change it from going into standby to power off when power is pressed on the remote so safe bet would be hit the poewr on the remote then turn off at the wall?

Only other options there were standby and restart.

so safe bet would be hit the poewr on the remote then turn off at the wall?
Yup! That will ensure the OS properly closes out and saves any open files before actually killing the power. And that's what you want.

Back