• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Another "Are my delid temps normal" post

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WebX

Registered
In my case, I have an 8700K which I delidded with Conductonaut (normal to leave a dark residue on the heat spreader?). I'm cooling it with an H110i. I'm using Kryonaut between the CPU and the block. Used the spread method.

I was able to get to 5.2GHz pretty easily. The VCore reports 1.39V. But when I run something like Prime95 (no AVX), It jumps straight to 84C while the coolant is still around 35C. It levels out around 86C, which to me is just way too hot, but it IS a stress test so it doesn't normally run like this. In a normal workload, it will hover around 45C-50C and then spike to 70C, which is what has me concerned.

The thing is, it seems like it's more common to see people get ~55C max on prime95 in a similar scenario. (One guy was at 1.4v 5.3GHz, saw 57C max. I have trouble actually believing that.)

I mean, I suppose my ambient is fairly warm around here (around 27C). But the fact that the CPU is able to jump up so quickly regardless of the water temperature is what makes me think something isn't contacting properly.

Normally I don't ask these questions because I've been overclocking and modding for decades. But water cooling is fairly new to me, as is Coffee Lake, since my last CPU was a 3570K.

So is this normal, and I should just reduce my clocks to hang out in a comfortable range? Or does this seem unusually hot? I would think a dual 140mm RAD would be able to keep it from going above 70 without the water warming up significantly.

55c at 1.39V with an aio and delidded using p95 avx...Still a miracle.

What vereion of p95 did that guy use...with avx??

Cpu jumps quickly regardless. Perfectly normal.

Last edited:
OK, I expected some of that. I just figure the response would be slower with water.

I'm running it at 5GHz, 1.28V and get ~73C when running prime. That still seems a little warm for where it's at, if you ask me.

Also, I don't know what the deal is with the voltages I'm doing offset mode, but an offset of 0mV gives me about 1.36V or so.

I'm running it at 5GHz, 1.28V and get ~73C when running prime. That still seems a little warm for where it's at, if you ask me.
Seems in the ballpark to me... especially with a 27C ambient room temp...

You really cannot compare your CPU temps to anyone else, even with the same cooler, case and clocks/voltages. There are enough differences in the CPU itself (leakage, etc) as well as fans, TIM, and mounting that can influence temps quite a bit.

I don't deal with offsets (just manual) so I am not 100% certain but I think its just adding to the stock voltage.. and if left at stock you would see 1.36V on certain types of loads.

Cool. That makes me feel better.

I'm certainly used to expecting differences between CPUs. Especially on the fringes. I just wanted to make sure because 85C at 1.4V seemed RADICALLY different. Like, "leaving the plastic on" or "pump not running" different. But it sounds more to me like someone else has questionably LOW numbers instead.

I'll have to do some more tweaking, but I think 5.0 or 5.1GHz will do me if it means keeping me under 80C.

LOL, he's got a darn 10c 145W CPU...of course he's jelly! :rofl: :p

Just keep it at/under 90C while stress testing. 80C may leave that last 100 MHz on the table. These chips start throttle themselves at 100C so this way, 90C stress testing gives you 10C there, and 20-30C plus for other, normal, activities.

OK, I'm back. This time with screens:

These are all running Prime95 v26.6 build 3. Default Small FFT test for about 3 minutes.

SmallFFT3.PNG

SmallFFT2.PNG

SMallFFT1.PNG

(Oh hey, 4 pictures away from 200,000 images on this site)

So as you can see, it still runs pretty warm.

I've already delidded a couple of times.

Back