• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Another day, another instance of AMD screwing the pooch by clinging to HBM.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
My electric bill for last month was $21, so bring on the high wattage, high performing cards!

I currently use that in 3 days, much lower in summer months. :( Either you just don't use much electricity, or they're practically giving it away where you live. Unfortunately neither of those apply where I am.

Back to the original topic, I see it as a nice option for those who love red/hate green to have a higher option than they currently do. The vram quantity is excessive for gaming, but presumably if they halved the stacks the bandwidth impact would hurt too much? If I were buying in that price region, it'll be 2080 for me.

I also find it curious people think nvidia would drop pricing. Given nvidia's historic generally higher than AMD pricing at a performance level, I don't see a need for them to do so here.

finally competing with the rtx cards with their new radeon VII gpu is an excellent start to the new year, hbm2 or not. at least theres something to talk about lol! finally an amd card that can compete with the biggish dogs! hahaha And then... nvidia gets gut punched by amds mid range radeons. competing directly where it hurts the most, $130-$250 range where 99% of people buy their cards. ima say it again...2019 is gonna be fun fun fun! yeehaaa:attn:

amd 3000 article
another 3080 rumour article

Just a tick under $0.12 per kilowatt hour here. It's winter here, so my rig, display, and the refrigerator are all that's using electricity, along with a couple LED light bulbs.

nvidia gets gut punched by amds mid range radeons. competing directly where it hurts the most, $130-$250 range where 99% of people buy their cards.
That's what I've been saying. I think people underestimate AMD's GPU sales because they don't compete at the big money level. I'd be willing to bet they've sold a lot more RX 480/580/590 cards than Nvidia has sold xx80 Ti cards. 8 GB RX 580 can be had for under $200

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...28&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=36

I'd compare the 1060/1050 prices at newegg but there are none. Kind of hard to compete in a price/performance bracket with no product.Throw in the 8 GB 570 and you're gaming at 1080p with decent results for under $150 https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...NE&IsNodeId=1&N=100007709 600494828 601296707 AMD currently owns that market.

I would imagine there are thermal safeguards, but I don't think they start dropping anywhere near as soon as Nvidia's cards do. Doesn't seem to be all of Nvidia's GPUs, either. I can hit 2265 MHz on my 1070 around 65c-70c. I assume that's a function of the good control offered by Galax's software and the design of the HOF itself, including the very good cooler. In the Superposition Benchmark thread I was outscoring 1080s with no problem. Possibly a glitch in the benchmark, but pretty solid results nonetheless.

Just a tick under $0.12 per kilowatt hour here. It's winter here, so my rig, display, and the refrigerator are all that's using electricity, along with a couple LED light bulbs.
You have alternate heating or don't need any at all? My crunchers are my heating since my gas system got condemned.

That's what I've been saying. I think people underestimate AMD's GPU sales because they don't compete at the big money level. I'd be willing to bet they've sold a lot more RX 480/580/590 cards than Nvidia has sold xx80 Ti cards. 8 GB RX 580 can be had for under $200
That's a given, hardly a fair comparison is it?

I'd compare the 1060/1050 prices at newegg but there are none. Kind of hard to compete in a price/performance bracket with no product.Throw in the 8 GB 570 and you're gaming at 1080p with decent results for under $150 https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...NE&IsNodeId=1&N=100007709 600494828 601296707 AMD currently owns that market.
Not the case here. At one supplier I use gives following in-stock pricing:
1050 2GB from £118
1050 Ti 4GB from £149
1060 3GB from £180
1060 6GB from £197

RX 560 4GB from £144
RX 570 4GB from £168
RX 570 8GB from £210
RX 580 4GB from £190
RX 580 8GB from £219
RX 590 8GB from £239

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

Is the clock speed on Radeon RX Vega 64 effected by cooling like Nvidia turbo boost?

My Vega 56 throttle harder than... a very throttling thing. You practically never see full boost under load as it downclocks with temperature, and the temp it starts at is very low. nvidia cards don't seem to throttle much until you get close to their thermal limit point. Basically the Vega 56 would be significantly faster if the cooling was tamed, but I have a reference blower one so no chance. I did want to try the cheap EK alu water kit on it, but no one ever stocked it.

I use a small electric heater if needed. The rest is gas at $50 USD every 6 weeks or so.

Wow, you guys are getting screwed. I didn't even check 2 GB-4 GB cards. Wouldn't buy one and think they're silly.

As for the comparison, other posters have used the top tier as a basis for judging AMD's income and presence in the GPU market, so yeah, it was fair.

I just included part of AMD's market share. If you include the 2-4 GB cards Nvidia may as well not even exist on a dollar for dollar comparison here. Sure, some people buy them but that's fanboyism or specific game needs at that point, and as I noted they aren't even widely available. I may well pick up a 580/590 next month simply because I can and there is nothing close for the money right now.

Getting numbers sold will be difficult, so best I can come up with would be... the steam hardware survey! Select cards only, for December 2018.
https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/videocard/

15.4% 1060
9.3% 1050 Ti
5.2% 1050
(skip a few)
1.6% 1080 Ti
0.52% 980 Ti

0.96% R7 graphics
0.81% R5 graphics
0.67% RX 580
0.61% RX 480
0.44% RX 460
0.27% RX 560
0.24% RX 470
0.15% RX 570

So on those numbers, the statement "I'd be willing to bet they've sold a lot more RX 480/580/590 cards than Nvidia has sold xx80 Ti" is a lot closer than I would have thought. Let's call it 1.3% combined for 480+580, vs 1.6% for 1080 Ti. 2080 Ti doesn't make it on the list, nor does the 590. Too new.

I'm not sure how the survey works, but assume it is based on a sample of active Steam users. So, not indicating what was sold necessarily, as what is still being used.

Edit: I'm wondering, what are R5/R7 graphics? In looking at the list some more, 300 and 200 series are in their own bucket. Is it mobile stuff, or perhaps some driver reporting thing?

Last gen (two?) AMD cards. I just gave away a R7 240, and before that a R5 230. Low end AMD cards from the R9 days. Interesting stats, and closer than I would have guessed. Good data, much appreciated. Probably a good number set, too, since we're talking gaming card purchases. In that case, I hope AMD takes advantage of the lull they have here and can turn it green. They seem to have a (smaller than I thought) window of opportunity in the VGA market on this side of the pond.

just read an article about nvidias huang dogging on amd. the most unprofessional rant ive ever seen from the head of a corporation, completely disgusted. im not going to link it, it doesnt deserve the space on our forum. suffice it to say as long as huang is running nvidia ill be buying amd gpus.

just read an article about nvidias huang dogging on amd. the most unprofessional rant ive ever seen from the head of a corporation, completely disgusted. im not going to link it, it doesnt deserve the space on our forum. suffice it to say as long as huang is running nvidia ill be buying amd gpus.

Don't post a quote on this forum. However, I would like to see the link.:eh?:

Letting d-bags be d-bags doesn't hurt me. What I got from his rant is he's scared. He's talking smack and hasn't seen the product yet.

And if we turn on ray tracing we’ll crush it.”
Really? You may want to check yourself before you wreck yourself, chopstick breath. Your fps with RT ain't all that and a bag of chips.
https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/nvidia-ceo-radeon-vii-is-lousy-and-nothing-new,7.html

edit: it comes up third on the list if you Google "huang d*****bags on AMD". LOL

Ive also heard that as well about FP64. So few use it, particularly on the consumer side, makes sense not to have it in there.

It's one thing to not include the hardware for it at high performance as on designed-for consumer cards, but it is another to disable it when it is already present. That's a business decision to protect higher cost cards. Ok, there's also the chance that some may have failed quality checks in that operation mode, but we'd only be guessing if that was a factor.

Either way, I am not upset about it... though I can see why those who need/choose to use consumer gaming cards for compute can be. :)

I see the need for a distinct market. Otherwise you get crossover and if mining ever comes back, the same incredibly inflated AMD GPU pricing because of it.

Don't think it would be affected by mining, at least not for any existing "popular" coin. Think most mining is integer based, so FP performance doesn't enter into it.

The scenario many have considered was that if FP64 was at the high level, it would attract a lot of attention from those who otherwise would have to buy the expensive "pro" cards, and may lead to a shortage that way.

Back