• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Another "help me to buy mobo" thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jebediah

Yes, another thread
I'm about to buy a new rig, but i dont know what mobo i should choose.
I think i will stay with Asus as usual and it looks like it will be the P8Z77-V Deluxe

I was also looking at Asus SABERTOOTH Z77, but since it has less power phase i think i go with something else instead.

The new rig will be a OC'ed i7-3770K and CFX with my 7970 cards
So any advice? Is P8Z77-V Deluxe a good board or should i go with another brand?

You dont remotely need such a 'high end' board(s) to overclock with that CPU. (Long) Gone are the days of requiring a 'robust' motheboard solution to overclock well.

1. P8Z77-V Deluxe - You dont need that much board really unless it sports a feature you need?
2. Sabertooth - I dont like those boards at all. Its a marketing gimmick to me with its 'armor' and such. You can get the same or more board for (a lot) less.
*If you want to get em, get em though! :)

That said... Asrock Z77 extreme 6 would be a solid budget choice that will easily take your CPU and GPU's where they need to go and save you at least $70 in the process.

A "simple" P8Z77-V ( normal, not even need a PRO ) will do it.

Side note : Avoid the sabertooth, it's a marketing thing ...

Thanks for such quick answer.
Main reason why i did not choose Asrock Z77 extreme 6 is that they only have 1 year warranty, and that sucks. Also reviewers claim that their resistor is to "weak" and don't even survive more then 2000 hours. And when it comes to benchmark Extreme 6 almost always ends up in last place.

I might just go for the P8Z77-V Pro instead since it have PCI slots which is good for future purphose.
Or how about Asus MAXIMUS V GENE?

I had no idea reviewers had these boards in their hands and running for 2000+ hours. The Extreme 4 is made with lesser parts, but the Ex6 is solid. So you say benchmark.. Are you at hwbot benchmarking or is this just a 'lets see what I can do for giggles' type thing? Your motherboard, for the most part, makes very little difference in benchmarking, note.

V Pro is solid but for similar money, Id rather have the MSI Z77 MPower or for a bit more the Asrock OC Forumula. Both are more robust than that ASUS solution.

No offence. I've never been around a Asrock card so i have no idea how solid they are.
Regarding the resistor lifetime, it's the manufacturer themself who announce that kind of time.

In what way are both MSI and Asrock more robust than Asus? Is it just the card itself or is it drivers, bios, support?

Back