• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

another newb question...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

o0OBruceLeeO0o

I am going to overclock a athlon 1600+ and want the best for my cpu! IF money was not an issue and noise didnt bother me what would be the best heatsink-fan combo for me? any help is appreciated

Welcome to the forum.

If neither money, nor sound was an issue, and you wanted air cooling......
Well for the heatsink i hear that the Thermalright SLK-800 is the best heatsink you can get. That alone will cost you a good 46 dollars. However thats not the loud part, the loud part comes when you add a nice large fan :D . The largest (CFM that is) fan that i have seen that will mount to the SLK-800 is the Vantec Tornado. That fan alone pushes 84 CFMs! At a price, however. Its noise level is 55.2 dBAs. That fan, is only 15 bucks, so thats a good deal for the kind of air flow you would be getting.

Hope this helps.

yeah the slk800 rocks.

I use a 50 cfm fan (clear one with blue LEDs) on mine and it performs quite well. Its 40 something dBa which isnt too loud but I would reccomend getting a high cfm fan (50cfm or more) that has a way to control how fast it spins so you can turn it down if its too loud. either that or get a fan adapter that will allow you to control how fast it will spin (how many volts it gets).

I have never used one, but i hear mixed things about thing. Some say they are good, because they help keep you from crushing the core. Others just say they are a waste of money. Personally if you are going to be having a large heatsink/fan on your chip, i would go for it. It couldnt hurt your chip. Like i said, i've never used one.......so i guess thats my round-about way of saying....i really dont know. Lol.

Now i've gone and got myself all confused :eh?:

No, it shouldnt (hender cooling, that is). It should just raise up to the level of the core, so the pressure from the heatsink is pressing against both the core (for heat transfer) and the shim (for safty).

If you use a copper shim and it shifts when you mount the heatsink, it might shift to where it touches the bridges and shorts them out, thereby frying your cpu.
There are the anodized shims that are not suppose to be conductive. I bought one of those blue anodized shims but never used it.

Back