• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Another P5k Premium no post thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
samething happens when i try to use my pc8500, some ocz platinum stuff.. the board wont post, at all, not even with other ram thrown into the mix.. but if i throw my ballistix, or my gskills in, it fires up no problem.. i rmaed one p5k because i thought the board died, i just reboot the pc one day, and it didnt come back to life.. now i just swap ram when it gets finicky.

What bios version do you have in there?

HEY HEY WTF...
and Its time to RMA the mobo... I think it fried ALL the ram I have...
Well, the real question is, how do I RMA this board. I don't see anything on the asus site.

call them up?

USA
Tel: 812-282-2787
Fax: 812-284-0883

yea no 1888 or 1800 number...

support->contact us, on the left bottom side...

My board would not POST if reset twice in succession (P5K Vanilla). The problem disappeared after I filled in caps on the board near the CPU VRM, DRAM and chipset. This is not a solution as I have no means of verifying the cause and the effect of the cap-mod. A useful coincidence at best.

What bios version do you have in there?

Right now im useing 0705, but up till about a week or two ago, I was useing 0404, its the one that shipped with this board. With my fist p5k, I treated that like I did with my old NF-7, I tried so many different bios's, you know.. all the ones asus took down from their site heheh. but it was fun till it "died". Wich now I have my doubts it did.. But I didnt have money for new ram at the time to know for sure..

When rmaing a board do not send back accessories you do not get them back.

thats only if going thru asus, for rma's newegg requires all parts that came with it. i had to go thru that a few times with other parts :(

I am having a very simular problem with my P5K Deluxe. It ran great for 7 months, but then one day it just decided to not post after a restart. I also did all the standard trouble shooting things, i.e. pulled ram(it beeps) inserted 1 stick at a time (yellow or black slots, does nothing), tried another vidcard (does nothing) unhooked all the drives (still won't post).

Finally I decided to order another motherboard of the exact same type. I got it put together with all the same old parts and it fired right up. Great! I thought. That was it. WRONG!!!

2 days later, the same thing. NO POST after restart! I turned the power off at the PS, waited for an hour, power back up and it boots back into default factory bios. Held DEL on restart, reconfigured bios to old settings, and it fired right back up. This is not a problem I want to continue to live with.

So, my questions are:
Does this sound like my ram is going out?
Could it be that I now have 2 bad mother boards?
Should I just junk my Ballistic Tracer 8500's and order new cheepy rams to run in this MB?
Since it has been 7 months since I ordered these parts from Zipzoomfly, do I contact Crucial direct to get an RMA?
Thanks for any help!

So, my questions are:
Does this sound like my ram is going out?
Could it be that I now have 2 bad mother boards?
Should I just junk my Ballistic Tracer 8500's and order new cheepy rams to run in this MB?
Since it has been 7 months since I ordered these parts from Zipzoomfly, do I contact Crucial direct to get an RMA?
Thanks for any help!
After replacing the motherboard and having the exact same problems, I'm thinking it is something else.

Can you test that RAM in another computer? Have you tried running one stick?

RMA wise, I'd go directly through Crucial, no middleman.

Not sure if this will help anyone with problems in this thread, but I recently upgraded to a P5K Premium, which refused to POST (or even beep!) when I tried booting up with a single sitck of PC2-8500 Ballistix Tracer (its mate is bad).

Turns out, the P5K Premium (at least, possibly the Deluxe as well) has issues with fast RAM. That is to say, when the BIOS is configured to "Auto" detect RAM speed, higher rated modules simply refuse to talk to the board. No POST, and no beeps when you try to boot.

That said, I bummed a single stick of PC2-5300 off a friend and the board boots and runs fine now. I've confimed with this board's previous owner that he ran several months on PC2-6400 without problem, so I'm guessing that the problems start with PC2-8000 or -8500.

I'd highly recommend trying a stick of two of slower memory, just for kicks. At least you can conclusively rule something in or out.

I've had the same problem with this board, eventually had to ram it to asus. Luckily they didn't yell at me for not installing the plastic socket cover when sending it back. I had tried every trick I knew to get the mobo working first, no dice. The replacement came with 0705 bios. If you don't have replacement hardware to test, put your components in a friends' box.

Link to my old thread.

Back