• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Antec 920 GT's and NB Cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eryklok

Registered
I was wondering if buying GT's 1850RPM and running them at max speed will get me lower temps than running the antec stock fans at max speed, also i have an asus x58 sabertooth motherboard, is it possible to replace the stock northbridge heatsing with the Swiftech MCX159-CU Universal Chipset Heatsink? Thanks in advance.

The NB cooler on the X58 sabertooth board cools both the NB and the mosfets. If you want to swap it out, you'll need to add large sinks to the mosfets to cool them. If not you'll fry them killing the board instantly.

If the stock fans run slower than 1850RPM, then you might see a little improvement in temps. Nothing major tho. Of course with higher CFM fans come louder noise.

The NB cooler on the X58 sabertooth board cools both the NB and the mosfets. If you want to swap it out, you'll need to add large sinks to the mosfets to cool them. If not you'll fry them killing the board instantly.

If the stock fans run slower than 1850RPM, then you might see a little improvement in temps. Nothing major tho. Of course with higher CFM fans come louder noise.

Sorry for not looking deeper into that... I was in a rush.

Goto here (this is for watercooling). I searched the x58 and found bloxks for the CPU, NB, SB, & Volt Reg. Give / take ~180 for those blocks, if you want to do something like that.

You'll find the 1850rpm GT's are good.. But, they're 1850rpm. The Antec fans are 2400rpm. And Antec make decent fans as is. However; you'll probably find the 1850rpm GT's to sound 'better' vs Antec fans at say the same speed <2000rpm. So if you're after a compromise between sound/performance; the 1850 GT's are a good choice. But if you're after BETTER performance than the Stock antec fans at max; frankly you're not really going to find it with the GT 1850rpms. Even if they are better fans for rads/heatsinks. That's still almost 600 rev's difference.

This is my opinion though.. I own 2 GT 1850rpms btw and was using them on my TRUE for a good while; but swapped to a single 1150rpm opting for silence. Swapping into my TJ08-E allowed for this as it's getting direct cool air now from outside, etc.

As for the 1850rpms they're not overly loud; but they're definitely noticeable. Though compared to other fans running 1850-2k rpm; they'd definitely have a nicer 'pitch' to them.

Back