• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

x58 Headache build x5675-rtx2070

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

vissersven

Registered
Hello guys. Im trying to finish a long waited system for my girlfriend. Parts laying around for a longer time already and because off a faulty 1070ti replaced by a 2070 due to RMA.

It started with:
asus Sabertooth x58 Swapped from asus x58 rampage extreme 2
X5675
6x hyperx 4gb 1600mhz ddr3 sticks (32gb corsair dominator 2133mhz sticks available for testing)
Msi rtx 2070
120gb kingston ssd (120gb crucial test ssd, i use this one for testing setups etc while hers was still in her old amd a8-6600k system)
240gb samsung ssd
Delock usb3 card
Delock sata card
Soundblaster Z soundcard
700w Silentpro Coolermaster
Hardline water cooled

I tested everything before we got the rtx and was able to get a stable 4.5Ghz. Next i started building and we didnt get any screen. Turns out the version of the rampage doesnt like the rtx card. We swapped out the motherboard with an Sabertooth. And everything worked. Install windows again on her ssd. It wouldnt boot with her system ssd.

I got a few different settings to stable hit 4.5 got to different multiplier etc. My latest is:
4550mhz x25multiplier bclk 182.
And i got the hyperx stable at 1800mhz.
Tested with prime95 and aida64.

And started for the first time bfv. Halfway the video settings the pc gave me a bsod. With a minidump that told me we had a fail with image: Hardware_ram

I checked the ram with memtest86 and memok-button. We had 2 faulty sticks. So we went on with 12gb on triple channel.
We kept on getting the bsod with ram failure.
Tested many settings for the ram. Thats how i came up with different overclocks for the cpu. And they all were stable.
Again in aida64, prime95, cinebench (1000+ scores) and MaxxMEM2.
Max temp of cpu is 70 and northbridge also 75.
No luck with the bsod happening.

I figured to try it on default clock speeds. Bios reset. Oh bios is on latest flash. 1402.
And i got to play a little. But 10min in again BSOD. I loaned three of my own memory sticks. Corsair dominator 2133mhz. Again bsod.

Next i reinstalled windows. And nothing else than google chrome, origin/bfv and nvidia. All on stock speeds. And windows asked me to restart due to an update. It had been running for an hour already. And with the restart a bootloop. And through windows repair(basically a reinstall with keeping settings) i got back in windows.

Im starting to pull my hair out.

Im thinking. Possible issues:
-Windows update
-one of the 3 express cards
-bricked motherboard

Any ideas or in need of pictures? Mind u im starting to get the system on default settings firts. And swapping out stuff is a pain because of hardline tubing

Greetings Sven

Last edited:
I love the x58 chipset.

I would start by removing everything you don't need to run the machine. Install Windows and all updates as you did before with no OC.

How old is the power supply? There is a chance that it is not putting out the power needed to run the OC and/or the 2070.

I love the x58 chipset.

I would start by removing everything you don't need to run the machine. Install Windows and all updates as you did before with no OC.

How old is the power supply? There is a chance that it is not putting out the power needed to run the OC and/or the 2070.

The psu is 5 years old, 80plus and suited me well a few monts ago with the 1070ti and a 4770k on overclock. Plus it does the restarts out of the blue now with the pc not even sweating.

The removing of parts is something i wanted to do as last. Due to the hardline build and unable to reach.
I would be able to remove the power cables of 2 of the 3 cards though. Will that work instead of removing completely. As the usb3 plus sata pci cards have there own power connections.

Hmmmm.... Lets change gears then. Install Windows and don't allow any updates. Immediately install the most up to date drivers for your cards (Maybe have them ready on a thumb drive) then do updates.

I took the long route. Have the coolant out and are setting up the gpu at a normal position instead of vertical. And i removed the top radiator for space to troubleshoot. I have to remake two tubes now and fill up. Than i can troubleshoot the cards all day long. The windows install is kinda fresh. I only installed origin and bfv. Whats not playable now due to too many installs of windows... Grrr ea/origin.

Oh btw. Its win10 it seemed i didnt need to install the cards.
I checked the manufacturers. The creative soundblaster z card driver showed me a website thats not working and the delock cards had one driver for one card. 1545427669287.jpeg 1545427793448.jpeg 1545427722506.jpeg 1545427701655.jpeg

And we are up and running.
All the win updates installed and cards removed. Now waiting for games to be installed.
Ill test and hope that the pc keeps running. After that i will one by one install the cards again. I just remembered i only bought the soundblaster card because i got the rampage mainboard without the soundcard. the saber has sound onboard. We are using a pretty hifi system though. on her old system she had that annoying buzz. which i didnt have with my Schiit audio amps on the other side of the desk. So i will still try to use the soundblaster card. I just found the right drivers.
Ill keep you guys posted.
20181221_232204.jpeg

Last edited:
I just played bf1 for half an hour and we are still running. Im gonna test bfv now just for the fun of it.

What would u guys suggest. First try the cards one by one and start overclocking when i insert the second rad. And leave out the faulty card.

Ok guys i got the system back together.

I took out the expansion sata card. Suggested that being the last card to be installed and the sabertooth having more options in sata than the rampage. Plus the system was running fine without it. No overclock though.

With installing as the first pictures i got issues again. I was thinking the psu. Because of the extra fans. Did a calculator on the coolermaster site and im well in range. Even with overclock. So i redid the cooling loop to take out the riser cable.

And we are running. Turns out the riser cable was the issue.

Nou starting with the overclock.
Cpu Speedstep disabled
-Cpu
X 25 multiplier
Bclk 180
CoreV 1.39
Pll V 1.9
Qpi 1.28
IOH 1.18
Mhz 4500

-Ram
1804mhz on auto volt. Factury overclock setting from Kingston charts.
10-10-10-30

Uclk @ 3248mhz
Qpi link rate @ 6496Mt/s

Fan settings on turbo.

Aida64 stability with mem included went fine. 60min with a max temp of 69degrees. Celcius ;).
And bf5 again bsod at loading. ?????
Default settings no issues anymore.. any suggestions on the overclock??

I'm late to the game but I was going to say that I thought it was a good idea not to use the riser cable. I was not able to see it in your first pictures so it was not until you mentioned that you put the card directly on the MB that I realized what you had. Good job troubleshooting. I would agree with you that most, if not all of your addin cards are redundant.

I'm late to the game but I was going to say that I thought it was a good idea not to use the riser cable. I was not able to see it in your first pictures so it was not until you mentioned that you put the card directly on the MB that I realized what you had. Good job troubleshooting. I would agree with you that most, if not all of your addin cards are redundant.
Its still a pain, my partner played tonight on default settings. I just cant get it stable.
I will try soon again. She had decent fps. But i feel like it nonsens to get a x5675 and use it at stock speeds.
Last bios setting i used was stock clockspeed and i only tried to get the spec settings for the memory.
1600mhz at 10-10-10 and that resulted in bsod with battlefield again.
Aida64 seems to be a not very correct stability test.

Btw the extra cards we use now:
-Usb3 for 2 extra ports and connection to the front ports
-Soundcard: in hope to lose the noise over our hifi system. Its better than her old system now but not even close to my setup with a Schiit Dac in between.

Don't worry being late. Your basically the only one replying. Thanks though ;)

I wish you well. Yesterday was "Panic Saturday" with today being... "I'd better start shopping for gifts or I'll be single again"....

hey guys. hope u had some nice days.
The overclock isnt going as it should.
cpu i can hit 4.6 stable. only memory seems to be an issue. every stress test shows me i can hit a stable system. only battlefield shows me crashes. it is gonna take some time to get it right but we will get there.
i tried different multiplier settings etc to get a different overclock in memory..thats how i got to 4.6ghz on the cpu.

another thing i wanted to ask is the cooling setup. i know my loop is ok. its just the power connections. The way i set it up now is that i have the case-fan controller linked to the cpu-fan connector on the motherboard with the whole waterloop on that board. And the last single case fan on the case fan connector. when the computer is still cold and starting up i get cpu-fan error. not that that is an issue. I was thinking to change the setup.
all the fans including the case fan towards the controller and linked on the case fan connector and the pump connected on the cpufan connector. what do u guys think??

With all the specter updates and such.. its a real pain. My x5690 used be able to run up to 4800, daily clocks were 4-4.4 or 1.275-1.4v. Now I cant overclock at all, unless I turn ht off. Maybe its my rig, it had a hard life. But my 3770k suffered a similar fate. I could be my flaky uefi, but if I want to run ht, I have to be careful which memory dividers I use, and it requires a bit more voltage than it used to. If I turn ht off, than I could run it like I used to, fast with ht, and fast ram. I got this system last december, and began having troubles last summer. I read something on the internet about how ht was a bit of a security risk, and how the patches effect ht performance. I tried running with it off, and it was like my cpus were back to normal. For testing, I have been using linpack extreme 1.1.1. Yes, it maybe excessive in some peoples eyes, but if it fails that, well.. a fail is a fail. I used to use intel burn test 2.53, but as it turns out, it wasn't as intensive as I thought it was.

Also, 700w is a bit thin for a setup like that.

Oh btw, the psu is gonna be replaced when the new one arrives. Corsair rm850x.

I will try the ht off soon

Last edited:
With all the specter updates and such.. its a real pain. My x5690 used be able to run up to 4800, daily clocks were 4-4.4 or 1.275-1.4v. Now I cant overclock at all, unless I turn ht off. Maybe its my rig, it had a hard life. But my 3770k suffered a similar fate. I could be my flaky uefi, but if I want to run ht, I have to be careful which memory dividers I use, and it requires a bit more voltage than it used to. If I turn ht off, than I could run it like I used to, fast with ht, and fast ram. I got this system last december, and began having troubles last summer. I read something on the internet about how ht was a bit of a security risk, and how the patches effect ht performance. I tried running with it off, and it was like my cpus were back to normal. For testing, I have been using linpack extreme 1.1.1. Yes, it maybe excessive in some peoples eyes, but if it fails that, well.. a fail is a fail. I used to use intel burn test 2.53, but as it turns out, it wasn't as intensive as I thought it was.

Also, 700w is a bit thin for a setup like that.
The new psu etc will arrive today. And i will take a nother spin at the overclock. Now just running stock. :(
Kingston states that their memory is running at stock speeds 1600-10.10.10 and has a stable factory overclock to 1800. I dont understand why they dont sell it as 1800 sticks but ok.
I understand windows can be abig issue in this case. What about downgrading to windows 7?

You've violated a basic rule of girlfriend management - never give a girlfriend used anything!!!!! Building with old computer equipment, especially, can be a real PITA. To further complicate the issue, it's water cooled, so maintenance is required, and you're overclocking. Overclocking old computer equipment is a crapshoot as instability can appear at any time as old components age. On top of everything else, it's a windows 7 era chipset now running in a windows 10 world so updates can create havoc. And she doesn't want to live in the past with windows 7. Anytime this old hardware hiccups or takes a dump, her opinion of you diminishes. You need to rethink this and get her a current gen CPU/Mobo/RAM combo. Use the new MSI RTX 2070 and PSU, keep the 120GB and 240GB SSDs as part of the new system and sell everything else to raise cash for the CPU/Mobo/RAM combo. Keep it simple, no water cooling, no overclocking, just 100% stability!

With the x58 Chipset, OCing the FSB can also push your Memory beyond it's rated speed. When OCing the x58, you want to keep the RAM to triple channel MAX (3 sticks). The more RAM the harder the IMC has to work, the bigger the memory size also hurts the IMC. I'm sorry but the X58 is old and does not like Newer Memory or Bigger Memory. She will happily play with 3 x 2GB sticks @ 200 FSB.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kingston-D...=item59179f9acd:g:qx0AAOSwl89b~Y5y:rk:49:pf:0

You start filling up the slots along with OCing is only going to bring you headaches. As already mentioned, sell the x58 and get a newer chipset

Back