• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anti-freeze poisoning...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
L337 M33P said:
Yes, the major component of ethylene glycol poisoning is the breakdown products made by the liver. The enzyme that hydrolyses alcohol also hydrolyses Ethylene Glycol, but the byproducts are more lethal and can cause kidney failure. Knocking back a few means that there is also alcohol floating round, and the enzyme hydrolyses the alcohol in preference to the glycol. Therefore the ethylene glycol can pass out "whole" through the kidneys. Well, that's the plan anyways. Only 120ml is enough to kill you.

so that means I can drink about 90ml of anti-freeze and drink $h!tload of alcohol and ill be fine? or does this only apply to small amounts of anti-freeze

man, i got a whole mouth full of zerex 50%, now just the smell makes me twich... but i'm still fine.
i was sucking on my tline (like an idiot) to to please the system, but since i have two tlines, i forgot to put the cap on the other and left the system w/o pressure.
nothing happened to me, then again i have an iron-cast stomach. If it does happen, induce vomitting..
J/K!!! drink lot of water to delude it and eat while you're on the way to the hospital, maybe there they'll induce vomitting and so you can show up with a full stomach and clean underware

My highschool mechanics teacher told us to put a bit of the fluid on your finger and taste it to determine what it was. No one my mechanics class died :D . I do remeber anti-freeze tasting a little sweet;)

NeoMoses said:

As it was explained to me (and don't quote this as the gospel truth) the alcohol just keeps your liver busy and allows the Ethylene Glycol to pass right through it, without doing any harm.

Anyway, hope you're feeling better.
Exactly, the receptors that the ethylen glycol and ethyl alcohol bind to are the same. If you bombard the receptors with ethyl alcohol, the glycol can't bind and are excreted. That doesn't mean take a swig of antifreeze so you can have a good excuse to get drunk.

ILikeMy240sx said:
Ehh... im still wondering why mine tasted bitter....

I suppose it depends on the make up of your antifreeze as it may contain other substances, for corrosion protection etc.

There are antifreeze types now that are "pet safe" containing "tri guard" or something like that, Bluecol make some in the UK, might be worth considering in the future.

I drink antifreeze all the time. It didn't turn me into a zombie killing machine seeking to recruit others into my hellish torment. Nope. Not at all. KILL ALL HUMANS!

ILikeMy240sx said:
Last night I was working with anti-freeze coolant (25% coolant, 75% distilled water) a little bit got on my lips and I didn't think to wash if off or anything since it was so little... Since last night Im having upset stomach (nausea, wanna vomit) and headache, dizziness.... Would that little amount cause poisoning to make me this sick????
that amount will not kill you.. however .. yes it will make you sick,, very sick...<<speeking from experience .. froma mechanics point of view :)

ILikeMy240sx said:
Ehh... im still wondering why mine tasted bitter....

I think they make it that way on purpose so animals wont drink it out of a pan on someones driveway....Kind of like the stink smell they put in natural gas so you know somethings wrong...

NeoMoses said:

As it was explained to me (and don't quote this as the gospel truth) the alcohol just keeps your liver busy and allows the Ethylene Glycol to pass right through it, without doing any harm.

Anyway, hope you're feeling better.

I believe that's right on target, I recently had the best dog I ever owned get poisoned via antifreeze. The vet asked if we would like to do the treatment on him and when I asked what the treatment was, he said "Get him as drunk as possible.". I thought that was humorous but he explained it like neomoses said, it keeps the liver busy along with the gall bladder so the poisons can be passed.

On another note, I used to work on cars all the time restoring them. I have on several occasions gotten a mouthfull of 50/50 mix of antifreeze and water. Didn't do anything to me, but it was very very sweet tasting. Hope whatever was ailing you is remedied.....

Just a little tidbit of info, hope it helps.. :)

Yea im feeling better but never will i put any of that stuff near my mouth again... it was like having a bad hangover or something. as for the bitter taste, i suppose it was anti-corrosion stuff in Zerex... I hope ur dog is fine now

I was draining my system a few days ago and I had a bowl with the anti-freeze mix right next to me.

Not 2 seconds later the cat comes running up and before I could even react he had himself a little taste!! I couldnt believe it...talk about a death wish!

Hes fine btw.

Back