• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Any Dads out there?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
subspace anyone? does no one remember this awesome game? it was orginially released by virgin entertainment i believe which was bought out by sony, so now subspace is freeware, and has currently been updated to "continuum" it still has quite the following even though graphics are old...its basically an arcade like space based shooter, you are a little ship in the middle of the screen and you fly around shooting at other little ships which explode...awesome game, i spent hours at a time w/ it back in its heyday...

Its pretty safe to assume she won't want him playing any games with guns or other weapons were he is killing stuff.

There really isn't going to that much of a difference between SOF2 with the gore off and any of these other FPS to an 8 year olds mother.

Go to the store and pick out one of the many many kids games or a non-violent game like racing or one of the above mentioned games.

Better yet get him a Gamecube.

how about something like mechwarrior?? Where he can have violence, but you are running around shooting mechs instead of people. 007 nightfire might be ok......

Oh yea, halo is coming out in 2004 sometime, maybe you could hold him to racing or something till then?

A mech game as a FPS may be the ticket. I would suggest Armored Core as it allows for literally "millions" of possible mech configurations (keep a young or old mind busy) and you can paint it any color you want + make your own insignias that gives you a real sense of ownership and the only things you blow up are mechs and some bugs its a PS/PS2 game series I think there is 7 of them out now

Tron 2 way to hard.

bf1942 would be great for him either Online, or Insta battle, just set it on super easy =D

or umm hmm Serious sam, pretty darn easy

I dunno my sister is 8 but me my mom and dad decided shes just to young to play computer games, I mean at 8 your kid should be playing out side =D I think.. but just my opion, I personl didnt get a computer till i was 12, but then agin It was a mac costs 5,000 dollers, and coudl now be replaced by a caucultaor =D

OH MAN im so dumb didnt think of this, StarTrek voyger games, the FPS
Bolth 1 and 2, would be perfect, becasue you can set to easy, any your shooting lazer guns =D LOL perfect

HALO is ok too but a bit hard for akid who is 8

BTW wacht what they buy, I saw a kid talk his mom into getting that game where you use a kat as a silencer, whats name? cant remmeber, its not a bad game lol for kicks, but for a kid that age lol I didnt say anything manyle becasue I did same thing as a kid =D

What about Quake 2 you could get a patch for that which turned all the characters into characters from the Simpsons TV show, who can get upset at shooting Mr Burns, Skinner and Barney ... Mind you theres something not quite right about Homer with a BFG

http://www.amishrabbit.com/q2/

Ohh fantastic theres a Teletubby client pack.... its worth digging out Quake 2 again just to shoot La La :)

Catch the chicken is fun as well

I forget what the mod was for but I remember there was a relgious mod I saw it on tv, its really gay.... but fnuny =D

if you wana scare him get him that game undying =D

errrrrrr........i dunno about you guys, but I don't think that ANY fps is appropriate for children. There's a HUGE difference between staring at the back of someone's head and staring out of someone's eyes.

Despite what people may say, a FPS brings so much more realism and immersion to a game...I don't think that's something that children should be playing (weather it's doom3, q2 with simpsons mod, or what).

but like I said, I think something like a nice platformer on a console would be much more appropriate for a kid, and more beneficial....

TUK101 said:
Both Serious Sam 1 and 2 are great games that are pretty tuff to take seriously. (get it?)

Yeah serious sam is an awesome game. and yeah its pretty unrealistic, since there really is no computer AI at all. They just chase you around the level, :D :D

Get him a gamecube, and some sonic + mario games...

I was playing duke3d when i was 6, and doom when i was 7 (a little out of order)

FPSs are not good for a kid you want to keep normal... sorta.....

If you dont have much money, get him some old games. Sam and Max was a great game, and I can't wait for the sequel!

Racing games will do, just not games like hot pursuit which involve driving away from the police.

Freelancer would be excellent!!!!! Starlancer, Freespace, Descent, Crimson Skies, all very fun and actiony, but no gore.

The Sims = No.

Worms World Party might be good, still has guns, BUT THEY ARE WORMS!!!!

BF1942, NO! NO WW2 Shooters!!!!!! (That includes MOHAA, COD, DOD, and some others)

No GTA (thats a given)

Do you think Rise of Nations is a little violent? You DO nuke people, and alot of large scale warfare is happening, but it is an RTS... soo...

OO!! Get him a dreamcast (40 bucks preowned) a memory card, and a few games. Sonic Adventure 1/2, Rez, *maybe* an RPG or two...

You gotta remember that kids are much easier to satisfy nowdays than they where 21 years ago when I was 8. Back then any game on the Atari was the schiznit. We also had Intellivision at the time but it wasnt nearly as popular. Remember that game Q-bert, that was an awesome game for its time, and is still fun if you can find it. I guess what I am trying to say......... is that you cant dump just any ole game on a kid just because you had fun with it when you where his age. The times change and it doesnt matter how much fun you had playing Astroids when you where a kid because your kid is gonna wanna play what they see on TV, or what Lil Joey has accross the street. Sure, they will probably play that Astroids game for oh, about 15 minutes and realize that it sucks dawg ballz compared to what they saw at thier friends house or on TV. If you want to let the kids play fps video games, pick a game with as much humor and as little realism as you can find if you are worried about them taking it seriously. Heck, think back to all those bugs bunny cartoons that you watched growing up and think of how many times you saw the Wielley Coyote trying to drop and anvil on the Road Runners head. I saw that at least a hundred times and I never did think of trying that move out on one of my friends. Better yet, I never did try taking a shot gun to any of my friends like Elmer Fudd did to Bugs and Daffy Duck.

ack, I forgot about the Worms series!

However, I don't know if they would be intellectually suitable for a small child....the mission levels can get rather difficult. Aside from that, it's good clean fun, and without blood (unless you turn it on with a cheat code that you have to earn by missions, heh).

DaveSauce said:
ack, I forgot about the Worms series!

However, I don't know if they would be intellectually suitable for a small child....the mission levels can get rather difficult. Aside from that, it's good clean fun, and without blood (unless you turn it on with a cheat code that you have to earn by missions, heh).

Missions?! There are missions!?!?!

I ALWAYS play multiplayer! Even if I'm alone! And the blood modifier is really stupid.

THanks for the input guys (and gals). I think I'll try and set up Quake 2 with a couple of the mods this weekend when I've got more time and see how they play. And for those who expresssed concern i ap[preciate your moral and social concerns but the little feller is from a well balanced and healthy family life. He's allowed to PC game only on Saturday nights, with his father close by. They've got a consloe with the mario's and Donkey Kongs but I made the mistake of letting him fire up Serious Sam on one of his visits. His Mom didn't care for the headless iranian bombers too much either. I thank Quake 2 with one of the mods might just be the ticket, if not Ill spring for a copy of Half-life, it's hard to wrong with that one (he's not getting my copy)!
Thanks again for the input!

well, my couzin (when he isnt at my house i play dod//bf 1942 desert storm and road to rome) but when he is here i let him play quake 3, it's mainly shooting aliens and mutants, you can download a mod dont remember what its called but it makes it more cartoonish (better for little kids) also has that futuristic look to it, and it has lots of different difficulties so he can step up as he gets better

I've forced video games of ALL types (except pron games) on to my little brother since he was about 3 years old. I think the real point of the matter is to make sure that the kid understands reality from video games. My parents and I have made sure that my brother understands this, and he doesn't talk like that, nor think it. You think they didn't have lots of insane murderers before violent video games? If they know the diff between video games and whats real, then you don't have to worry much about desensitization either. I still feel horrified when I see medical/police photos of REAL dead mutilated anything. If his mom can't teach him that, I suggest maybe Metroid Prime on the Gamecube as a good fps for kids.

hey what about emulators....well that is if u own the game....any ways... i never new games like this affect the kids mind that bad....but id just get him a game boy with mario or sumthing......any ways a few good games.. hmmm how about web games? lol chessy but safe like sum kinda games from here...http://flashgamess.altervista.org/ errr i dont no if those are mal ware free so be careful.

Back