• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Any new boards to come for socket 939?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

avesta

Ive asked a lotta people regarding socket 939 boards and they say to wait until more of them come out. As far as I know the nforce 3 board is already out, so what is it we should wait for exactly? more tests or what?

p.s. Im looking at fx-53 system, but i dont care about crazy overclocking, air cooling will do.

avesta said:
Ive asked a lotta people regarding socket 939 boards and they say to wait until more of them come out. As far as I know the nforce 3 board is already out, so what is it we should wait for exactly? more tests or what?

p.s. Im looking at fx-53 system, but i dont care about crazy overclocking, air cooling will do.

There is exactly ONE nForce3 board out, the VERY expensive Gigabyte version. There are also two VIA based boards out. Thats not many, and all of these, so far, have some problems. Thats primarily why people are telling you to wait. I'm in the same position as you and I've been waiting.
The truth, at least to date, is that socket 939 is simply not performing well. Everything out so far is slower than the equivalent socket 754 boards. If things dont change, you might want to skip all of this, and get a socket 940 board, preferably the superb Asus SK8N. It is rock solid and offers outstanding performance. It will allow you to plug in an FX and fly. The only downside is that it requires registered memory, but since you can afford the FX, that should be no issue.
MSI has the new nForce 3 250 based socket 939 board, the K8N Neo2 coming out any day, "maybe" that will be better, but I wouldnt hold your breath. At least to date, 939 has been a serious, and expensive disappointment.

John

Back