• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Any past Asus z68 maximus iv gene z users?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dja2k

I tried to give my old PC a video card upgrade adding an Asus 1660 Super but it wouldn't boot giving me a B2 MB error. From everything I ready it's a motherboard bios and gpu conflict. I gave up and returned it. I wanted a newer Video that could be used later this year when I upgrade my CPU, MB, and RAM.

Anyways for any past user of this board, what was the highest video card model you were able to run on the PCIE 2.0 x16 slot and be able to boot fine? Currently I am running an ATI 7950 which was rated PCIE 3.0. Maybe it was a GDDR6 conflict, cause my current card has GDDR5. Thanks

Ok I confirmed with some other users that are using an AMD RX 580 without issues on z68 chipset. Some reviews that throw me off on testing an RX 580 is that some are faulty and run hot. Some people even said it burned their motherboard. Anyways my closest Best Buy had the XFX RX 580 8GB Black Edition on sale so I got it. At first board was giving me an error 97 with blank screen. I did a CMOS reset and it booted, only thing I noticed is that the BIOS was set to Legacy Mode, but Windows booted up fine.

Now I wonder if that would have fixed my problem with the 1660 Super, but oh well.

Last edited:
Sorry to bump this but ---- Oh man, there's still more of us out there?! :p

I seem to remember folks having issues like you mentioned in the past about AMD cards throwing specific codes and not booting, however I can't seem to actually locate that info anymore.

I've had a Radeon HD 6870 2GB card as a temp place holder that I remember giving me problems from day one, anything from artifacting and tearing issues to just random shutdowns while gaming. It was a lender card from a friend so there were no OC's on it while I used it, I had sold my previous card(8800GTS 512) and was waiting on delivery of the new one. When the new card came (EVGA GTX 760 SC), the issues went away. My friend was also not able to replicate the problems I experienced on his system when i gave the card back. Almost exactly 2 years later I upgraded to my current 980ti and have been problem free.

I will note that I demo'd a new EVGA 1080 SC2 Gaming(I think that's what it is, 1080 for sure though) card when I rebuilt our HTPC to support VR gaming just after the Vive launched, and didn't have any issues for about a week the card was installed. I'm currently pondering upgrading to a 2070 Super IF I can even find one, or just finally calling it quits on one of my favorite mobo/cpu combos and just bite the bullet and upgrade to a 9th gen i5...

Back