• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Any reason to replace my PSU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

King107s

Over the years I have upgrade hardware many many times but one thing I have continued to use without issue is my PSU.

In March of 2012 I purchased a CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX1200 (CMPSU-1200AX) 1200W ATX12V v2.31 / EPS12V v2.92 SLI Certified 80 PLUS GOLD

So this PSU is now over 9 years old but seems to be perfectly fine... Is there any reason to replace it? Should I be concerned with the age? What do the new versions offer over this older PSU that really make a difference in function or support of current hardware?

Well considering its a 1.2KW PSU and your system likely pulls ~400W, I'd say you'd be fine. If you have issues under load, that's the first place I'd look though.

As far as mew features, nothing that's new makes a tremendous difference when it comes down to it.

Next time you upgrade though, I would, if only for giggles. :)

Well considering its a 1.2KW PSU and your system likely pulls ~400W, I'd say you'd be fine. If you have issues under load, that's the first place I'd look though.

As far as mew features, nothing that's new makes a tremendous difference when it comes down to it.

Next time you upgrade though, I would, if only for giggles. :)

I know my current system doesn't pull down the kind of power my previous ones did... I used to run multiple video cards in cross fire and of course over clocked everything while running a custom water loop.

I have recently been doing a lot of encoding and have had my system running 12hrs at a time at 100% for several days in a row with no issues. Also pretty heavy gaming.

I have a 1 kW PSU of a similar vintage (an Antec CP1000 which is a non-standard form-factor IIRC) and it's been in several rigs over the years. Currently powering a reasonably beefy rig (dual 10-core Xeon workstation + GTX770 + Zotac P106-90) and if I'm not using it it's running FaH at a full blast 24/7. Never had an issue.

Personally, I'd just keep it until you run into stability issues, and then it might be something you look at carefully when troubleshooting.

I have the same PSU in one of my systems. I needed to replace the fan as the built in one was making terrible noises, but otherwise works fine.

My solution was adding my own 120mm quiet fan and ran the cable through a dremeled hole to my motherboard.

Two Corsair HX520 modulars 15 years old in an XP machine and one in my sig machine still going strong.

12 year old TurboCool 1200 in my bench station. Still puttin it out.

Back