• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone else's Raspberry Pi screech/squeal?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stompah

Deep Pain Senior Member
I have not updated my Pi since I got it back in 2015ish. Now I am running an update and it is screeching/squealing. It sounds like an old school dial up modem with a cold. It's very odd. Day to day usage it is quiet. I've tried recording it but my phone's microphone barely pics it up.

No, I have a couple - 2 Pi Zeros (a W and a base), a 3 B+, and a 4, no screeching although one of the 0s is in the basement and I usually have the TV blasting when I play around with the bigger ones. Is it like capacitor/coil whine? Also, is it happening during any specific update?

Last edited:
Very coil whinish, but with a modem modulation rhythm. the whole update it has been singing to me (at least the parts I was there for.)

Strange...Anything hooked up to the GPIO?

Can you identify which part of the board it's from? Did a quick search and seems like a common answer is not the Pi but actually certain power supplies/wall warts, which would make sense here in a way, it's under higher/different loads while updating so an old wall wart that's on the edge of failing could be complaining about the added strain.

Last edited:
Funny that you bring that up. After the update was complete there is now occasionally a yellow lightning bolt in the upper right hand corner which means the power supply is not sufficient. I will have to replicate the noise on the old power supply and then switch over to a new one and see if I can repeat the noise the same way

But I am leaning towards that now after seeing the lightning bolt in the corner.

Back