• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I like Pi. Raspberry Pi, that is.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Posting this with my Pi! Not exactly fast, but totally functional.

Are you running Raspbian or RiscOS?

I like RiscOS but it needs more apps. Raspbian is fine, but it's a bit slow, even if you apt-get install iceape to use as browser instead of midori.

What the foundation is working on now is GPU-Accelerating the desktop so you see a MAJOR performance increase.

You should try using the Pi in the role of HTPC. The XBian, RaspBMC, and OpenELEC installations are relatively painless, and the responsiveness

I prefer XBian, and when in XBian, I prefer the SLiK skin because it is very uncluttered and simple (so it's faster)

Raspbian, so far. Haven't tried OCing.
Largest issue is the sloooow SD card that came with it.
Sadly, Linux SuperPI is only for X86 :(

Raspbian, so far. Haven't tried OCing.
Largest issue is the sloooow SD card that came with it.
Sadly, Linux SuperPI is only for X86 :(

If you're using Raspbian you should throw Quake 3 Arena on it.

It's hard-limited to 60fps on my system, but it's quite nice. I was actually surprised at the performance of it when I go it installed (properly).

The instructions I found were a bit "off", in that the pak files were supposed to be installed in a certain location, but the download command shown in the instructions was run from the wrong location so they weren't where they should be.

As far as its use as an HTPC is concerned, I'm more than satisfied enough with its performance to replace my AMD-based HTPC with it. My HTPC was comprised of the following:

AMD A4-3400
8GB RAM
Corsair 550 PSU
(2) 3TB Seagate HDDs
Hauppauge HVR-950Q

That was a pretty nice build, but it does nothing for me that I can't already do with the Pi (or with my TV, which has Netflix on it, as well as my Sony BluRay Player)

Back