• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I like Pi. Raspberry Pi, that is.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Nice, I have one on order, but it hasn't shipped yet. So I should get the.model b.

Element 14 cancelled the order I placed on 5 October for my second Pi...

Not happy.

Nice, I have one on order, but it hasn't shipped yet. So I should get the.model b.

Not necessarily, if you ordered the model A (no ethernet port) you will still have the default 128mb (or 256?) or if you ordered the Model B (Ethernet Port) you will receive the rev2 board with 512mb of RAM vs the 256 they originally shipped with.

Element 14 cancelled the order I placed on 5 October for my second Pi...

Not happy.
very interesting mine from the 4th is still open?? :(

I actually got an email a little while ago, from element14, saying that mine would be the upgraded version.

Here:
We're excited to inform you that the Raspberry Pi 256MB that you recently purchased has been automatically upgraded to the brand new 512MB at no additional cost. The new Raspberry Pi has double the RAM memory, which more than doubles the user accessible memory. To find out more about the technical benefits of the new Pi 512MB, see the highlights below or Click Here. We hope you enjoy the speed of your new Raspberry Pi-now on its way to you.
Visit our accessories page today and create your own starter kit. Learn more and see the Raspberry Pi in action at element14 community.

Raspberry Pi 512MB Highlights:
• i2s mod: Raspberry Pi has three independent i2s busses running on it. The decision to swap the two that are surfaced to P1 and S5 means the i2c available for expansion is less busy and more reliable. This allows the user to have a higher quality digital audio signal.

• USB output fuses removed: allows greater capacity to power external USB devices.

• Version ID links and Additional Expansion: Version ID links were included to read version ID, but are not ever used. Instead they have been redeployed to add extra 4 x programmable I/O lines.

• Current leakage from HDMI port: Fixed problem with CEC line in HDMI interface.

• New mounting holes: These can be used to properly mount the Pi in an enclosure or other rig. Note - Users risk damaging their Pi if they over tighten any retaining screws they choose to use.

I go t a shipping notice today, so element 14 must have some stock again. If anyone is looking.

I ordered 2 of the 512MB version 2's from MCM Electronics after element14's **** up

Pi should have some sort of 3D rendering on it.

also i am waiting for a Model A to come out (the cheaper one) but for some reason i have seen none!

Now this sounds good.

But, it'd be hard. Emulators usually require OGL, and the Pi has no OGL IIRC.

The Raspberry Pi contains a Broadcom VideoCore IV GPU providing OpenGL ES 1.1, OpenGL ES 2.0, hardware-accelerated OpenVG 1.1, Open EGL, OpenMAX and 1080p30 H.264 high-profile decode. There are 24 GFLOPS of general purpose compute and a bunch of texture filtering and DMA infrastructure

Quake III on Pi

I've been playing Q3 on my Dell U3011 at the nax resolution the game will play, 25xx by 15xx with 4x AA and I'm v-sync locked at 60fps

And that's at only 800 core and 333 gpu...

Makes me wanna dig out my Q3 CDs and install the full game instead of the demo

So I set mine up last night and loaded Arch on a 2gb SD and I must say this thing is amazing!

I have yet to load any apps other than X at the moment but that will be a tonight project.

I am very tempted to buy many many more of these!

Yes! Exactly like that!

Working on installing Quake tonight then maybe Doom!

One of the main things I think I am going to use one for is a 35$ media Center. Use Pithos to play pandora music allover the house after I wire it up!

Yes! Exactly like that!

Working on installing Quake tonight then maybe Doom!

One of the main things I think I am going to use one for is a 35$ media Center. Use Pithos to play pandora music allover the house after I wire it up!

I have Xbian installed on my 1st 512MB Pi that's overclocked to 900/450/450

Buttery-smooth mkv playback of my 32GB Prometheus BluRay rip. I installed the Radio and the EU Radio programs so I can listen to Aussie and European radio stations (SkyFM has too many commercials, meh...)

I am getting ready to re-install my TV Tuner (HVR-950Q) and TVHeadend to see how well it outputs OTA Digital to my network.

I also have an SD Card with Raspbian on it, and I use it to play Quake 3.

Here's how I installed Q3

pi@raspberrypi ~/quake3 $ ./build.sh
./build.sh: line 34: unexpected EOF while looking for matching `"'
./build.sh: line 37: syntax error: unexpected end of file

Belay my last. It seems I left out a " in the process of editing the build script

sudo apt-get install git gcc build-essential libsdl1.2-dev
git clone https://github.com/raspberrypi/quake3.git

cd quake3

Edit the script used to builkd the application (-w in nano command = no line breaks)
nano -w build.sh

Edit Line 8 to the following:
ARM_LIBS=/opt/vc/lib

Edit line 16 to the following:
INCLUDES="-I/opt/vc/include -I/opt/vc/include/interface/vcos/pthreads" (there's the quote i forgot, lol)

Edit Line 19 to read the following
#CROSS_COMPILE=bcm2708-

Ctrl-O to Save
Ctrl-X to exit nano

Initiate the build process by entering the following:
./build.sh

It takes between 30min - 60min to build.

When complete, download the .pak files to the baseq3 folder

wget http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1816557/Q3 Demo Paks.zip

If the pak files are not in the baseq3 folder, it will not work.

From default pi user, the folder structure should look like the following:

home-pi-quake3-build-release-linux-arm-baseq3 <--- Extract pak files here.

Go to the following folder the run the game
cd /quake3/build/release-linux-arm/

Run the game using the following command
sudo ./ioquake3.arm

any one having or had issues with video resolution?

I am running ArchARM and I have installed the xf86-video-fbdev from pacman but the Pi can only output 1868x968 on my 1080p monitors. I have tried different monitors different cables

works fine on Raspbian... Any Ideas?

I am about to try forcing 1920x1080 in xorg.conf, I just want to see if others are having issues.

Last edited:
Back