• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone has idea on how well x850pro oc?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
maybe i m not connecting the power cable correctly or something. for the pci-e to molex cable (seen here ), i thought i only need to connect 1 molex to the cable correct? either way, i tried connecting 1 or both, but comp won't even boot with either x800pro or x850pro.

A standard molex puts out 40w power, the PCI-E needs 75w. Both need to be plugged in to provide sufficient power. That also means they can't be on the same wire, and each one needs their own direct, seperate, and unshared lines to the PSU. IE, no sharing the line with hard drives/optical drives/fans/anything.

Also, are you using any motherboard adapters, like a 20pin PSU to 24 pin motherboard connecter adapter?

superdaveviii said:
A standard molex puts out 40w power, the PCI-E needs 75w. Both need to be plugged in to provide sufficient power. That also means they can't be on the same wire, and each one needs their own direct, seperate, and unshared lines to the PSU. IE, no sharing the line with hard drives/optical drives/fans/anything.

Also, are you using any motherboard adapters, like a 20pin PSU to 24 pin motherboard connecter adapter?

This is what I thought as well. I remember in order to power a 6800Ultra AGP, it requires two dedicated molex lines. I just wasn't sure if that's the case for x850s as well. Now I guess I do need 2 dedicated line, which is going to be a problem in my shuttle case. It only has 1 line with 2 molexs, and 2 lines to power SATA drives.

SuperDave is correct - if you give it a shot connecting 2 Molex - maybe you might get by - but it'd not really recommendable if you have a "weak" PSU -which is probably is. Newegg sells a micro PSU that is rated @ 450 watts from Athena that might fit into your box that could help....

Back