• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

anyone soldered the TI 533 drcgs yet ??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hi , I have just sent my spare TH7 II to a freind of mine who Works at RMIT here in Australia.

He is going to replace the standard DRCG,s with the TI DRCG,s.

Will let anyone thats interested know the results ( post back here:) ) in about 4-5 days.

Gipat

The very Idea of replacing the DRCG,s in the first place is to get rid of Their flakey-ness when shoving the fsb over 100Mhz.

Because the std ones are a bit flakey over 100Mhz, chances are your memory will do more than PC1000 with the 533 DRCG,s.

Also, it will be interesting to see if these 133 doofers help use more than 2 x 128 x chip Rimms Stably. The Samsung PC800 I have does 145fsb @ 400bios setting.

Maybe I was lucky, but then they wont work at all if I chuck em both in the other two rimm sockets. I have to use the 2 sockets nearest the cpu for the mem.

What I have seen and read it seems that the 03s can hit 1066 no prob but if you get 1066 and want to oc it you might need the ti533. If I can't hit 1066 its my ram not the drcg.

well some of the ICS 03 drcg can do 1066 but not all . it depends on luck actually the chip itself can do 533 but ICS do not put it in the datasheet. after some long research on the ICS DRCGS the 03 and the 13 type. it leeds me to believe that the 13 is an upgrade version of 03. it is just some little changes to certain part to get the chip to 533 level without flaking too much on the clock. if you check the jitters on 13 you'll be shocked how high it is. the 03 is able to generate a 533 mhz but some may how and some may not as some experienced adding a fan blowing on it might help as it is running hot. the drcg 13 is just a more efficient version that doesn't get hot and maybe have a better driver thus stabler on 533 thats all. so gipat you might be too harse on your rams try addin a fan and see if that worse if not later if you could change the drcg . believe me the TI 533 drcg is of a better quality. a lot better than the ICS 13 variety too. the TI's is much more stable at 600 mhz operation than the ICS than they claim i can bet on it.

anyone noticed that on the datasheet for both the ICS -03 and -13 and the TI533 DRCGs theres a multiplier for 16/3 resulting in 355mhz bus in 66mhz mode ?????if someone can somehow implement this in the bios then we can have a 3.5 multiplier. anyone ???? how about Mr N ? can it be done ??? i should think the multiplier setting would be in the bios since the 4X and the 3X rambus multiplier is in the bios. could we add this multiplier too somehow ? any answer is greatly appreaciated

3.5 would be really SWEET:D

What you say makes sence...

If anyone of the members of this board knows if it can be accessible via Bios...Mr. N. does...

---

Ok woofer its bean long enough, how did things go with the DRCG swap I havn't seen anything so I am almost scarred to ask. Please tell us it went without a hitch.:rolleyes:

well i replace my drcgs, it went so smoothly the TI drcgs are great the mem seem more responsive after the mod and my system feel faster somehow. i noticed something. somehow my northbridge is running a bit more hotter. went up from 35C to 37 and 39 when under 100% cpu utilization. but all in all the comp is great now. thought my overclockability did not increase because i only have a willy now. i'll get a 1.6 A northy soon. once i get my hands on that i'll start going nuts on overclocking it

Right on nice to see good results. The TI533 won't help your cpu oc but should help the ram. It might even get your old ram a little higher because they have a cleaner signal. But you now that, just read your other post.I will have to find someplace to get mine done. And I have tried the fan but no luck I do have the high density 128/4 device so I think 450 is respectable for that ram.

well gipat i think should do the mod. now that pc 1066 RDRAM is out. i think the signal being cleaner have some effects on my system as it is clearly smoother and faster. to tell you a secret i'm working on trying to make a 3.5X multiplier setting for RDRAM on the mobo. i have two options of doing it by hardware of by bios. once i've got it done i'll take pics and show everyone. it's fairly simple and i figure a 3.5X multiplier is useful for US all . anyways if mr N can give me a hand with the bios i think i can make the mod faster anyways gotta go ciao

ivanjong: I talked about a 3.5x a while back with Mr.N and he stated it was not posible but I hope you prove him wrong(no disrespect to Mr.N) a 3.5x on the mem would be sweeet so I wish you luck and looking forward to see what you came up with. My prob is finding a place that will do the job, I was thinking of doing it myself but have since put that out of my mind.

Peace

well i would really advice you against it. even with a blower i solder it on but it wasn't so neat and my old ICS chips well doesn't look so well after i took it out. it is really dangerous without proper tools. well about the 3.5 X multiplier it is very applicable in fact i can do it now. but right now the only way i can do it is by hardware moding by soldering something onto the mobo. making a dip switch but i would think that doing it via a bios mod would be much easier i'm still searching for parts in the bios that controls the interface from the softmenu IC chip to the DRCGs. that requires me to backward enginneer the mobo so it'll take time but when i've done it i'll write a good detailed article on it and post the bios. i'm just thinking since Mr N have done most of the mode for the mobo he might know more about the mobo's bios than me. anyways gotta go . see ya

Excellent!

This is sounding better than I had expected tbh.
A cleaner singnal does make sense and the snapiness you now see will be due to what a I call "less halt & check routines on Rambus"

Anyone notice if the Memory is running Cooler for these Modded DRG's?

Just an Idea that Lower Latencies on Rambus would mean Lower Temps on the Rimm's themselves!

gipat said:
Ok woofer its bean long enough, how did things go with the DRCG swap I havn't seen anything so I am almost scarred to ask. Please tell us it went without a hitch.:rolleyes:

No probs......:D

Mod is OK....havnt got the board back yet as a freind is "Playing " with it...

Will post back here when i finally persuade my freind to send it back to me...:D

well i've yet to check on my rambus modules temp yet but my module never gets even warm even with prime for 24 hours. never know why. my module is from infineon something about a new technology in rdram, dunno what. but it is a PC 800 module but the spd read that the module supports 32ns refresh . so i think it's actually a pc 1066 . i dunno but it just never get warm. but after the mood i really feel the system waking up. it's like the system before this mod is drunk. now when i start an application i dun have to wait a bit for it to load it just go. i didn't change anything but the DRCGs do i think thats the effect of it. maybe less jitters on the clock results in less misses on the ram. but it sure speed up the rams

Thing is m8, the 128Mb Modules get nothing like as hot tas the 256Mb modules do.

I have used both and the 256Mb modules seem get more than twice as hot as the 128Mb modules.

I didn't have any real method of comparing actual temps, but feeling the Heat from the spreaders certainly tells you there is a huge difference.

well yeah i guess thats it the 128 modules doesn't get hot the 256 does. i'm thinking of upgrade but RDRAMs is kind expensive in my country and i'm out of cash so i might need more time ot get more cash hahahah. but well i'll know later when i have the 256 mb rams.

They're on to us!!! I tried getting samples from TI and "this product is not a part of our free sample service.":mad:
Now i'm back to square one. How did all you guys get your DRGC's?

Back