• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone used this mobo?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

brentonius

Registered
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130660

this is the mobo im currently planning on getting, anyone had any experience using this one? my i7 3770k just showed up today from intel's retail edge thing. i thought it wouldnt show up til after christmas so i guess i'll be buying a mobo sooner than i thought.

I'm gonna use everything in my signature rig except the mobo/processor. now i just gotta find someone at work that wants to buy my fx8120. i'll never go for more than 2way sli. so i don't need something like the rampage IV even though i really it.

i like the msi board because it has built in wifi/bluetooth, lots of usb ports, and the optical port. i need the bluetooth and optical for my headset. wifi is just kindof a bonus, not really necessary.

edit: i plan on overclocking a little, nothing crazy though.

I have the board. I don't recommend it. Bios is fragile and upon updating it will corrupt itself, then you're stuck using it with the back-up bios. I'm forced to run it stock speed for fear of the secondary bios going bad if I tweak it/overclock it. Stay away from it.

Get yourself something else with the features you're looking for and avoid this board.

I have the board. I don't recommend it. Bios is fragile and upon updating it will corrupt itself, then you're stuck using it with the back-up bios. I'm forced to run it stock speed for fear of the secondary bios going bad if I tweak it/overclock it. Stay away from it.

Get yourself something else with the features you're looking for and avoid this board.
:rolleyes:

First, you are not forced to do anything. You can overclock it just fine on the other bios. but you simply wont do it because of what happened...(and thats fine - but the other bios is on a completely different chip dont forget). Not to mention you dont even know that it was because of overclocking in the first place...:sly: its not like when you overclock you give the bios chip more voltage or run it out of spec. Correlation is not causation, neb. :)

Second, I updated those bios' myself and they didnt corrupt it self. It like just had a bad bios chip and that just happens.

Let's not blow things out of proportion or speak as if all these boards will do it...I understand you are still upset though.

@ OP - The board is fine. I would surely recommend it, I reviewed it. Normally it is quite a robust solution. Things happen however and NEVER would I shape my POV on a board with a singular experience like way too many people do here (then share it like it absolutely will happen to them when reality is its quite the contrary). Perhaps Im a glutton for punishment but if I bought the board and that happened to me, I would happily RMA it for another instead of moving on. I know that there are thousands of these sold with 99% of those people quite happy... you can find things wrong with every board if you look. :thup:

Last edited:
I have that board, im not 100% impressed, but for what it is, its a good board. Overclocking is made easy, even thou, i still havent bothered overclocking much with mine.

Runs great with 3770K, but i do have one small issue with Bios. Its slow booting up after i'v reset the bios. I hanvent bothered to look to much into it, but its not a bad board at all for the price, and the boards at same price around it, its a great choice.

Check your settings pierre.. resetting the cmos brings it back to default so EVERYTHING loads. If you disabled controllers, fast boot, etc those would be at default upon a reset.

Check your settings pierre.. resetting the cmos brings it back to default so EVERYTHING loads. If you disabled controllers, fast boot, etc those would be at default upon a reset.

Its the start, black screen. I have done all settings... But i'll sort it out some day im really bored :thup:

It is a great board for the price, but i still need to get the hang of what to adjust on it for OC'ing.. Everyone says 4,5 is easy stable, but i cant get past 4,2 stable, and thats using OC genie.

EDIT:
I just went through it all, its all setup like it should, and still spends about 10seconds on A2 at boot! Manuel does not tell you what A2 is.
I reset bios and set it up all over, same. But it was never like this in the start.

From what i can read, its a SATA controller issue, and im not tne only one. I do have all my Sata plugs in use.

Last edited:
:rolleyes:

First, you are not forced to do anything. You can overclock it just fine on the other bios. but you simply wont do it because of what happened...(and thats fine - but the other bios is on a completely different chip dont forget). Not to mention you dont even know that it was because of overclocking in the first place...:sly: its not like when you overclock you give the bios chip more voltage or run it out of spec. Correlation is not causation, neb. :)

Second, I updated those bios' myself and they didnt corrupt it self. It like just had a bad bios chip and that just happens.

Let's not blow things out of proportion or speak as if all these boards will do it...I understand you are still upset though.

E_D

The OP asked a question and I answered it from my experience. As I stated before I will not recommend something that fails to work properly or recommend a company/brand that fails to take care of it's customers. The OP has a right to know the pros and cons and make an informative decision :thup:

And you're right I'm not forced to do anything. I chose to run stock. Reason being is fear. Fear that if I do try and overclock the board, it may, or may not kill the secondary bios. I don't want to take that risk and end up with a dead paperweight that cannot be RMA-ed.

Again you're right, my problem didn't happen while overclocked, in fact it happened while stock, so I didn't get a chance to overclock the board to my liking.

Nothing is being blown out of proportion, just posting what I went thru. The OP can purchase it if he prefers, but I feel it's my right to post what I experienced.

Last edited:
I can't speak of this board directly but I have had a MSI board before and they failed me and the customer service was a complete joke. I had to go a month without a board while they RMA'd it. Since then I have only used Asus and Gigabyte boards and from what I hear Asrock makes great boards that are usually more cost effective.

A lot of push/pull here over the MSI. I've updated one BIOS, kept the other stock as I knew it would boot. I've updated every driver in my system with the exception of the latest Crucial M4 just posted. My boot times on the updated BIOS from cold start -> POST -> Win login runs about 15-20 seconds, hardly slow by any standards.

I OC lightly, running at 4.2, as I leave it on 24/7 and travel frequently, so I need stable/reliable for F@H. I have had 0, nada, zilch, the null set, issues with the board so far.

I've had two other MSI MBs in the past, no problems with them either. Had 2 0r 3 Gigabytes, a couple of Biostars, 3-4 ASUS, a couple of ECS, a couple of Intels, and some others I'm just not remembering at the moment. Some were better than others. Some were outright awful. Some got RMA'd out of the box. So I've been around the block, pick 'em, hope for the best. It's much easier these days since reviews on the web are abundant. In the "old days" you pretty much were guessing. But in many cases, so were the MB manufacturers so bad parts were far more common. Spoilers aside, I stick by my previous post.

But maybe I'm just one.

thanks for all the input, i think im probably gonna go with the msi board. i can get it for 179.99 where i work. and i can get a pretty nice discount on a 3 yr warranty that'll cover anything that might go wrong.

Back