• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anything I need to look for for touchscreen support in motherboard specs?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tRidiot

Premium Member
I've recently gotten an Acer DA220HQL 21.5" tablet to use as a touchscreen in my kitchen. It's mounted on a cabinet to use as a kitchen tablet for watching YouTube videos, recipes, accessing my NAS for movies, TV or music while in the kitchen. However, it will also function as a regular touchscreen monitor if connected via HDMI, so I've got this mini ITX case I'm thinking of mounting on top of a cabinet to use with it when I want to boot into Windows - the tablet's kind strained trying to play back HD videos from my NAS and decoding them, etc., (using SPMC for this right now).

So I'm looking at maybe building an ITX system for it off this i3-4160 and something like this ECS H81H3-I/HDMI motherboard. I don't think there's anything special to look for in making sure I can do touchscreen stuff (I also have a BlueTooth keyboard and mouse in the kitchen for it), but I wanted to make sure. A quick Google search didn't show anything. I don't really see any ITX boards with built-in WiFi, either, unfortunately, so I guess I'll just have to get a dongle or whatever for it.

Any suggestions? Stupid idea, you guys think? What say you?

<edit> It's mounted on a swing-arm tilting/swiveling TV mount, if that helps envision it. So it can show all around the L-shaped kitchen dining area. I'll probably mount some speakers in there eventually, too, either BlueTooth as well, or wired, I dunno yet.

Last edited:
none that i can think of as far as the os goes it would be nice to have an os suited to something like a tablet Win10 is around the corner. i know win8 is more tablet friendly than win7 but i would not wish win8 on my worst enemies so its a matter of personal prefrence. as far as Wifi goes you can get a usb dongle very cheap.

where you may run into problems is your trying to use an Android tablet to control a windows environment via HDMI. i doubt without software, that you will be able to run it with ease. gonna take some googling around but its a cool idea. i will have to look into it myself

Back