• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anything special to consider for a Laptop Gentoo install?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

perfectturmoil

Hey guys..

I'm at school, so I'm kinda stalled out on the hung up gentoo install at my house - but I plan to pop gentoo onto my Laptop I have here.. Thinpad T22 (900mhz PIII, 256mb Ram)

I don't have any papers or anything like that any time soon.. so IF I bork everything, it'll be ok.. and I don't have anything important on the lappy (actually.. I don't have anything at all.. fresh XP install).

I have 30 gigs unpartitioned on the drive, 10 will go to gentoo.. the other 20 will be formated Fat32 for storage available to both...

Is there anything special I should look out for / prepare for when trying a new gentoo install? I know there was a section in there about PCMCIA.. I will have to do that, but I am not currently using any PCMCIA cards.. no problem there, I hope..

Anything I should do / not do?

Not particularly, the install is pretty much the same. Just make sure to turn on power management options in the kernel config if you want to use the battery. (Also turn on pcmcia in the bus section.)

Back