• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anything to gain from here without going liquid?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OCMusicJunkie

Hey guys, I'm trying to gear up for the folding CC starting in just a few days now and I'm looking at my systems, thinking about just how much more I was able to produce during the cooler months when I was able to run a full 200-300mhz higher CPU clocks without heat trouble, not to mention the NB speeds being higher too. I do plan on going with a custom liquid setup for at least my FX chip at some point in the future, but for now I need to find out if anyone thinks I have anything to gain with something not outrageously pricey, widely available and possible to install by the weekend. Right now, here is the basics-

FX 8350 folding @ 4.2ghz
Xigmatek Gaia with 72cfm Rosewilll push/pull fans
22c room temp peaks at 56c CPU temp
(Source 210 case, plenty of airflow in and out)

X4 965 folding @ 4.2ghz
Xigmatek Gaia with second stock fan in push/pull
22c room temp peaks at 51c CPU temp
(Themaltake Commander case, okay case flow)

X4 965 folding @ 3.9ghz
Xigmatek Loki single fan
22c room temp peaks 52c CPU temp
(HTPC most of the time, not a ton of case airflow)

Would anyone imagine I could do much better than what is there now (Gaia generally compares to the 212 Evo) without spending a ton of money or seeing less than one or two degrees at most shaved off for all the effort?

Could always add better fans .. Or better pushers .. Not sure how brave you are with DIY but had you though at all about lapping the CPUs and heatsink faces? Would drop temps some now and an even better difference as your cooling system improves and OCs go higher ..

My case came with one of these and it's a pretty good fan .. Higher cfm and higher pressure than the stock fans on your cooler and pwm. Cougar Vortex

Back