• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Apparently, non K Intel Skylake CPUs can now be overclocked

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Did ASRock change their mind? I see no mention of this external clock generator in the PR for these two boards on their website.

These boards were in press release 3 months ago. Since then silence. I guess that Intel wasn't happy about it. Also these were only cheaper boards which are not really interesting to all who are overclocking.

I think I'll send an email to ASRock and find out if they indeed did implement this feature on those boards but just aren't advertising it.

You can still do it on some Z170 boards as well. You just need the right BIOS or one that can change between microcodes. There have been a couple threads here on this that may interest you. :)

You can still do it on some Z170 boards as well. You just need the right BIOS or one that can change between microcodes. There have been a couple threads here on this that may interest you. :)

Yeah, the article I linked mentioned that. But you have to refrain from upgrading the bios to the later versions that dropped that feature after Intel twisted arms.

"A few weeks back, Intel announced it had pushed an update out to motherboard manufacturers to remove BIOS overclocking for Skylake processors that were supposed to be locked in the first place. Ever since 2011, Intel has restricted overclocking to upper-end Core i5 and Core i7 products with a “K” designation in the name, and the company never meant to offer Skylake chips that could be overclocked in the first place.

Users who bought lower-end Skylake chips and motherboards can still overclock by refusing to update to newer BIOS versions, of course. But it seemed that the window on this particular feature had closed for good, since new boards would ship with newer BIOS versions, and motherboard manufacturers haven’t historically wanted to go head-to-head with Intel in enabling features the company isn’t fond of.
"

That is correct. But as I said, there are some boards that allow you to switch between microcode (ASRock?) even after you have flashed. I do not know if even newer updates borked that functionality.

This was all hashed out in some thread(s) here already when the information was released in March. I am getting deja vu... let me see if I can find it................. :)

I do it on my ASUS Max Hero VIII all the time. As you said the key is to NOT update the BIOS version past a certain release date. But I can still switch between what I call "K" "NONK" BIOS versions. There are ways to revert a newer board back to an older BIOS but I wouldn't recommend it for most users as it's a good way to brick the board if you don't know what you're doing.

I do it on my ASUS Max Hero VIII all the time. As you said the key is to NOT update the BIOS version past a certain release date. But I can still switch between what I call "K" "NONK" BIOS versions. There are ways to revert a newer board back to an older BIOS but I wouldn't recommend it for most users as it's a good way to brick the board if you don't know what you're doing.

How well did it work?

I think the main point of my post is that whereas most motherboard companies discontinued the feature in deference to Intel's wishes, ASRock supposedly bucked the current and actually put a clock generator chip on these boards that was not tied to bios version. Now I have emailed ASRock support to see if they followed through on this as if so, it would not be a past phenomenon. This would be a great for inexpensive i3 CPUs that have HT and would create, effectively, a new product niche that we've always wanted - an unlocked i3.

It worked OK, I only went so far since I plan on freezing it and voltage was ~ 1.5 @ 4.9 stock is 3.7 for i3 6100. There are some caveats though. It ruins the AVX2 instructions and no temp readings

image_id_1623122.jpeg

We don't know if the external clock generator that ASRock was supposedly implementing would bork the temp readings like the bios tool did, however.

Joe88, thanks for the links. That could come in handy.

The clock gens don't have anything to do with the temp readings AFAIK as plenty of Z170 boards have it and can read temps just fine (sensors do not run through the clockgen). Its when you flash the BIOS that things go wonky.

This got me curious so I checked the manual for the Fatal1ty H170 Performance/Hyper and this is what I saw, leads me to believe that you can change the BCLK

Asfat.JPG

So this is a bclk changer, not a multiplier changer as you would be able to do with k chips.

I wonder if the ASRock clockgen boards still work on non k chips, I remember the advertising of being able to make smaller steps with BCLK.

I'd say it still will...

The concept of enabling overclocking on non-Z170 motherboards and for non-K CPUs has been considered by essentially every motherboard manufacturer, but following disagreements with Intel and the release of firmware updates to prevent it, motherboard OEMs have largely abandoned the idea. Except ASRock.

Back