• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Apple G5 dual cpu 2.0 Ghz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zylith

Registered
Looking for some help- I received a G5 from my father in law who passed away a few weeks ago. And I don't know the first thing about Mac's. I know it can't be updated to snow leopard but other than that- what do you all think of it? Is it worth using or would it be more of a pain trying to learn the new OS. Let me know what you think.

OSX is pretty easy to use. I wouldn't use such an old CPU though. Those things are 10 years old.
If you want a mac I would pick up a new one.

Thanks for the response. It would not be something that I would use all the time. I run a amd system that I love. Will it play some newer games? Not so much for me but for my wife? I just don't know how to compare the CPU not being Intel.

OSX is pretty easy to use. I wouldn't use such an old CPU though. Those things are 10 years old.
If you want a mac I would pick up a new one.

Free machine to play with or spend $2k on a new one. Pretty obvious choice, IMO. OP, if you want to familiarize yourself with Macs, this is a perfect way to do so. Their OS's don't change too terribly much between iterations, using a dated machine will likely be just fine. Also, sorry for your loss!

Free machine to play with or spend $2k on a new one. Pretty obvious choice, IMO. OP, if you want to familiarize yourself with Macs, this is a perfect way to do so. Their OS's don't change too terribly much between iterations, using a dated machine will likely be just fine. Also, sorry for your loss!

Thank you- And that is what I was thinking. I would use it to see what all the hoopla is about mac's lol .... Taking into consideration that is it 10 years old it starts up pretty fast.

Sorry for your loss. I missed that part of your first post.

If you're just looking to fart around on it, it'll be fine. The performance, particularly performance per watt of G5 is way worse than even Core 2. So don't expect miracles. I seriously doubt you'll get decent game performance out of it. Use it for web surfing and try to play around with the OS to familiarize yourself with it. I would suggest that you update it to the latest version of IOS that it is compatible with.

Once you decide you like it and you want to stick with MacOSX, consider a new Mac or better yet, a Hackintosh that dual boots Windows.

Sorry for your loss. I missed that part of your first post.

If you're just looking to fart around on it, it'll be fine. The performance, particularly performance per watt of G5 is way worse than even Core 2. So don't expect miracles. I seriously doubt you'll get decent game performance out of it. Use it for web surfing and try to play around with the OS to familiarize yourself with it. I would suggest that you update it to the latest version of IOS that it is compatible with.

Once you decide you like it and you want to stick with MacOSX, consider a new Mac or better yet, a Hackintosh that dual boots Windows.

Thank you. That is another issue I have come across as well. It is running 10.4.? and I saw that it will go to 10.5.8 but when i click software update it doesn't say there is a version available- according at apple support to update to 10.5.8 I will need to be on 10.5.7. so you can't skip a version?

You're going to find a LOT less games for OSX that you will for Windows. Especially a dated OSX.

Also, you'll have trouble loading anything but OSX (and some Linux distros) on it due to the CPU architecture.

Back