• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Apple Is Working on a Hardware Subscription Service for iPhones

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Honestly I don't see a problem with it *as long as it's an option and only an option*. (I'll admit my ADD kicked in half way through a 5 minute video so I didn't watch the whole thing, and only followed part of what I did watch.)

Me, I like owning my stuff, as I'm sure many here do. It lets me customize it the way I want, everything from a little $300 NUC that I tossed my own SSD into up to and including my car. Plus it has the added long term benefit of not having to return the thing and worry about every little scratch, scuff, and bump.

But, as mentioned in the part of the video I did watch, "leasing" a phone is very similar to leasing a car. It lets you get "The Shiny" you may not be able to afford outright, and you get a new Shiny every few years. If someone trades in their phone every 2 years anyway and Apple prices the program right, those that take advantage of it may break even and/or come out ahead (though I doubt the latter).

In the longer run, subscriptions are never cheaper. It's just easier to pay it every month than pay it once ... especially with prices of new, higher series cell phones. Many other brands are moving everything into subscriptions. Recently I saw that Microsoft won't release OEM/BOX Windows Server anymore. They are already pushing their Office software which can be helpful in the online version but for most users is significantly more expensive.

Agreed Woomack. It is easier for them to raise prices with the monthly payment versus a flat one time purchase so I doubt they will be cheaper even before considering interest.

Never leased a car so I can only imagine the restrictions on it. I haven't had a stock build car since I started driving so it just wouldn't work for me. I tend to keep my phones for a long time so I'm not particularly interested in subscriptions/leasing there either. The fastest upgrade I can think of was maybe two versions but usually more like 3-4 versions. Actually my current Pixel 6 will be the first phone I will be keeping short term but that's because I can't stand the finger print reader. I'm sure the kids who Mom and Dad pays their bill will be all over this service so they can get the pretty new phone though.

As I said - there's a good sized group out there upgrading every year or two any way. Tradein evaluations on phones are kind of crap, if they even bother with it. Paying $500 over two years for a leased phone equals buying a $1,000 phone, trading it in a couple years later, and getting $500 credit.

I will never own an I phone. I wouldn't pay the crazy price, but I don't live on my phone like a lot of people. I read or heard somewhere that today's younger people don't want to own things ,they want to rent and have the latest n greatest. Its another throw away item in the world.

I will never own an I phone. I wouldn't pay the crazy price, but I don't live on my phone like a lot of people. I read or heard somewhere that today's younger people don't want to own things ,they want to rent and have the latest n greatest. Its another throw away item in the world.
Oh I have no doubt on that. It is the new version of "keeping up with the Jones". I have two teenage kids and my daughter would easily upgrade every year if she could. The funny part is my techie son could care less as long as it works. He usually takes the hand-me-downs and is plenty happy.

Back