• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Aquaero 6 PWM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I just completed my build less than a week ago so there is a lot to wrap your head around with the Aquaero 6 and I'm just starting to sort it all out.

I'm having an issue controlling my Swiftech MCP655 D5 PWM pumps. I have them connected to Fan channels 1 and 2 with PWM control mode set. However, the pumps run at a static 2900 RPM and if I change the % setting to anything below 98% the pumps simply shut down.

If I plug the PWM cable from the pump into a PWM fan header on my motherboard then I have full PWM control of the pumps throughout the entire RPM range using Asus AI Suite III (Speedfan doesn't work). So until the issue with the Aquaero 6 is sorted out I will run my pumps from the MB fan headers.

I don't have PWM controlled fans and this makes me glad I didn't buy any.

I just completed my build less than a week ago so there is a lot to wrap your head around with the Aquaero 6 and I'm just starting to sort it all out.

I'm having an issue controlling my Swiftech MCP655 D5 PWM pumps. I have them connected to Fan channels 1 and 2 with PWM control mode set. However, the pumps run at a static 2900 RPM and if I change the % setting to anything below 98% the pumps simply shut down.

If I plug the PWM cable from the pump into a PWM fan header on my motherboard then I have full PWM control of the pumps throughout the entire RPM range using Asus AI Suite III (Speedfan doesn't work). So until the issue with the Aquaero 6 is sorted out I will run my pumps from the MB fan headers.

I don't have PWM controlled fans and this makes me glad I didn't buy any.

Did you setup the Aquaero software to know that its controlling Pumps?

It took a while to wrap my head around the software, now i simply love it!

But i do know that they made systems for when your running pumps of the unit.

The default is voltage control I believe. Did you change the settings for fan one and two to PWM?

The default is voltage control I believe. Did you change the settings for fan one and two to PWM?

Absolutely. And what you see makes no sense because after setting the channel to PWM control the power slider is still displayed as though the connected device is still voltage controlled. I really wouldn't be bothered by that so long as the device behavior was correct...but it isn't.

There's still going to be a slider. How do you think you'll control the PWM cycle?

Did you install the software yet? It literally takes 30 seconds, and it'll make this a lot easier to troubleshoot because you can actually see all the settings much easier.

Last edited:
I know there is still going to be a slider. But I would not expect the scale to be voltage when a device is PWM controlled. In any event that isn't really the issue. The problem seems to be that PWM control with pumps (or at least the Swiftech MCP655 PWM drive pump) doesn't work with the Aquaero 6.

As for the software, yes, I have been tinkering with it for the past couple of days.

FYI, I am not the only person who has reported this issue. Someone reported the problem on the AC English forum, and Sebastian recommended that he power control his PWM pump.

http://forum.aquacomputer.de/weiter...lp-with-aquaero-6-xt-pwm-controller/?edf3903b

I'm prepared to accept that I might be doing something wrong here, but until someone comes along with a similar setup to mine (and the person who posted on the AC forum) who asserts that they have PWM pump control working then I will be inclined to believe that there is an issue with PWM control on the Aquaero 6.

I might buy a PWM controlled fan to test with the Aquaero 6, but that is so far down on my priority list that I might not get to it for a while.

Last edited:
So...I'm using the MCP35X2 and PWM control is rock solid. I'm splitting the PWM across two channels as opposed to combining them, but both are operating in conjunction with each other as I intended. Just finished installing everything with a 6 XT over the weeeknd.

What I do have an issue with are some fans and allegedly over-amping one of the controllers. I have 9 AC F12s all on one header. Two of which have become disconnected so 7...obviously. I am having relatively consistant issues with the controller shutting that channel down due to this, but it thinks it's hitting 3A as it's not recoverable until I reboot. I'm still troubleshooting this one...but otherwise, the thing works great.

But I would not expect the scale to be voltage when a device is PWM controlled. In any event that isn't really the issue. The problem seems to be that PWM control with pumps (or at least the Swiftech MCP655 PWM drive pump) doesn't work with the Aquaero 6.

Zoinks, I think you have non-PWM Swiftech D5 pumps, at least from your list and pictures of your build log. You would need to control the pumps via voltage control and not on PWM if they are the MCP-655B version. The none B (MCP-655) version is controlled via rear knob built-in its housing.

So...I'm using the MCP35X2 and PWM control is rock solid. I'm splitting the PWM across two channels as opposed to combining them, but both are operating in conjunction with each other as I intended. Just finished installing everything with a 6 XT over the weeeknd.

What I do have an issue with are some fans and allegedly over-amping one of the controllers. I have 9 AC F12s all on one header. Two of which have become disconnected so 7...obviously. I am having relatively consistant issues with the controller shutting that channel down due to this, but it thinks it's hitting 3A as it's not recoverable until I reboot. I'm still troubleshooting this one...but otherwise, the thing works great.

Thanks for that info!

Share with us once your fan issue once its resolved.

Last edited:
Zoinks, I think you have non-PWM Swiftech D5 pumps, at least from your list and pictures of your build log. You would need to control the pumps via voltage control and not on PWM if they are the MCP-655B version. The none B (MCP-655) version is controlled via rear knob built-in its housing.

They are indeed PWM controlled D5 pumps (I do know the difference :) ). Here is the line item from my Performance-PCs invoice...

Swiftech MCP655-PWM 12v Water Pump Module - PWM Enabled (Single Version) (MCP655-PWM)

Here is a link to the product page....

http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...e=product_info&cPath=59_201&products_id=36120

The pumps work fine under PWM control when connected to the CPU fan header (and OPT CPU Fan header) on my Asus Rampage IV Black Edition motherboard. I control the pump speed with Asus AI Suite 3 (Speedfan doesn't work on my MB). All of my radiator fans are controlled by the Aquaero...they are all 3 pin fans.

As I said earlier what I don't know if the issue with pump control is limited to the Swiftech PWM D5 pumps or if it also extends to PWM controlled fans. I expect that it would but don't know for sure. I have plans to test that but have been flooded with work lately so I really don't know when I will have time to get around to it.

How are you setting up the control for them? Are you selecting a manual profile?

In my case, here's what I have...

This is the setup...

AS-PWM.jpg

...and this is how they're mapped...

AS-PWMControl.jpg

As you can see, they're humming nicely at 1500 RPM. Don't ask why I have the GPUs tied to pump speed...I just do. :)

But they work as intended. My fans are tied to CPU temp. I'm just playing around at the moment.

I have tried it both ways. With a control curve the pumps shut down and don't run. On manual whenever the Max Power % slider is moved below 98% the pumps shut down. When set to 100% the pumps run at about 2900 RPM.

As I indicated earlier I am not the only person who has reported this problem with the Aquaero 6 and Swiftech PWM D5 pumps.

You are using two MCP35X2 pumps and I don't believe that the assumption should be that because it works with your pumps it will also work with the Swiftech D5 PWM pump. Two Swiftech D5 PWM pump owners have reported the same problem.

It could be an issue that is endemic only to the Swiftech D5 PWM pump. I have not had time to test the Aquaero 6 Pro with PWM fans. But as I have said I plan to do so when I can find the time.

Having to run my pumps from the motherboard CPU fan headers for PWM control is not a deal breaker for me, though I would rather have them run from the Aquaero 6 for obvious reasons.

People considering the Aquaero 6 who plan to use the Swiftech PWM D5 pump should be advised that two people have reported a problem with pump control using that specific combination, and might want to consider a different PWM pump. If it were me, I would probably get a pair of the Aquacomputer D5 USB Aquabus pumps. They are a bit more expensive and harder to source in the US (though you can order them from Aquacomputer direct). I suspect there won't be any potential compatibility problems and you get the added bonus of freeing up two fan channels.

Others have had no issue with the D5 PWM. Did you try e-mailing Aqua tech support about your issue? It's possible that yours has a defect or that something might be done to get it to work. You AQ6 seems to be stuck in voltage control mode for some reason.

Did you try burning the change to PWM control to the controller before messing with the sliders?

Others have had no issue with the D5 PWM.

Links please? I'm only interested in reading about successful user experiences with the Swiftech D5 PWM pump and Aquaero 6. Other D5 variants with PWM control don't qualify.

Thanks...

I'm only interested in reading about successful user experiences with the Swiftech D5 PWM pump and Aquaero 6.

Have you ever heard the term survivorship bias? You should gather as much information as you can, not just successful experiences. Just my two cents.

I'm not seeing what I remember reading on the Aqua forum yesterday, but I've got a wicked head cold so my memory might not be trustworthy and that same head cold impedes my motivation to look.

How do you have the dual pump config plugged into the MB? I assume you're using a splitter since the MB only has a single header? Have you tried plugging that exact splitter into one port on the AQ6 instead of using two fan headers and tying them together in software? Sounds dumb, but I've seen dumb things work before when it comes to computers.

I'd assume he is plugging one into cpu fab and one into another fan header. Like an auxiliary cpu header or chassis header. My motherboard has 2 header for the cpu.

How do you have the dual pump config plugged into the MB? I assume you're using a splitter since the MB only has a single header? Have you tried plugging that exact splitter into one port on the AQ6 instead of using two fan headers and tying them together in software? Sounds dumb, but I've seen dumb things work before when it comes to computers.

My motherboard has two CPU fan headers. No need for a PWM splitter.

I don't want this to come off as being unappreciative. I know what it's like to try to help someone who is having a problem and to get rebuffed. But I really want to avoid people wasting their valuable time or feeling like their efforts are unappreciated.

So please keep the following in mind....

1. I haven't reached out to the forum and asked for help. I am merely reporting my experience and that of another individual with the Aquaero 6 and Swiftech D5 PWM pumps.

2. My cooling system is completely functional. I have PWM pump control with the pumps connected to my motherboard CPU fan headers using the Asus AI Suite 3 software. It uses a control curve (though with not nearly as many control points as the Aquaero).

3. My system is now (and has been for the last 3 weeks) a production workstation and it is running production workloads. It runs 24/7. This means the door is pretty much closed on testing every theory that might come along. To obtain good access to the Aquaero and my motherboard fan headers I have to shut down my system, unhook everything, pull the system out and set it up on a work bench. My rig weighs about 75 pounds. I plan do one more test using a PWM controlled fan with the Aquaero 6 Pro, and depending on that result it may be the last time that I do any further testing of the Aquaero 6 PWM control function.

4. I am a IT Systems Engineer with an electrical engineering background and have 30 years of professional technical experience. My priorities might not be the same as a devoted water cooling hobbyist who can probably invest much more time into tinkering, testing, and reconfiguring than I can. My background doesn't mean I know everything (far from it). But I do have an excellent grasp of good diagnostic and troubleshooting practice. For that reason and item 3 above, I plan to stick to the course I have already laid out unless new relevant information develops that demands a change in approach.

Until it can be established as fact that other D5 PWM pumps are electrically identical to the Swiftech D5 PWM pump, we cannot assume that they are. Indeed, we cannot even make inferences about how the Swiftech pump will work based on the results with any other pump (D5 or not). This is why I am primarily interested in cases of successful PWM pump control specifically with the Swiftech D5 PWM pump. I already know of two failure cases with this combination but not of any success stories. And in both of the failure cases, the pumps worked correctly under PWM control when connected to the motherboard CPU fan headers. A credible hypothesis must account for all of these observances and not just some of them. That is not to say that the issue is with the Aquaero or the pumps. There is not enough information available to be drawing any conclusions. Most of the responses to the thread I referenced earlier on the Aquacomputer English forum are simply not relevant to the situation at hand. For example, one person reported good results with the Swiftech D5 PWM pump and the Aquaero 5 Pro. That's good to hear, but not germane to the specific scenario being discussed. The same thing goes for the MCP35X2 and the Aquaero 6. Again, good news, but we cannot infer anything from it with the Swiftech D5 PWM pump and Aquaero 6. So the suggestions being made, while well meaning, aren't likely to lead to a solution.

If the PWM fan test passes then I will operate under the belief that there is an incompatibility specifically between the Aquaero 6 and the Swiftech D5 PWM pumps that does not manifest itself with other PWM pumps. If the fan test fails then that would indicate that there is something wrong with my specific Aquaero 6 unit. I will pass my test results along to Aquacomputer when I have them and ask them to advise me. I don't know when I will do the fan test. I hope to get to it in a week or so.

Last edited:
Back