• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Arctic Silver 5 - Still Heat Sink Compound of Choice?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Barryng

I was just reading some articles indicating AS5 is not a great choice. Although I have not kept current with this for a number of years, it is still my understanding that AS5 is a good product. If it has been surpassed, what is now recommended?

If there are better products out there now than AS5, are they just marginally better or will they make a consequential improvement in heat transfer meaning more than just a few degrees?

There are so many far better compounds out there. Compounds that cool better, compounds that have no cure time, compounds that clean up better, compounds that last longer. Even some that not only cost less but cool better. MX2 and MX4 tend to be popular these days, Thermal grizzly about is quite popular these days. I like to use liquid metal my self.

If your still using AC5 its likely because you had some sitting around or did not know about the better compounds.

Last edited:
This, is by no means a comprehensive list but it will give you an idea of some of the current avail abilities and their ability to cool compared to AS5.

Yup, MX-4 here and use it on everything. No regrets and all is running well.

Gelid Extreme or Supreme ( worse but still good ), Noctua, Cryorig ( I believe it's like Noctua but they didn't want to confirm ), Colermaster MasterGel Pro/Maker, mentioned MX-4. All that is good and better than AS5. There are some other TIMs that are also good, just added what I had on my mind.

I second the cooler master mastergel maker. Its a better choice than the as5. Also im 90% sure non conductive. Pretty much anything with good reviews you use even as5 will be +-2 degrees of eachother, except liquid metal but that stuff is scary.:p

yep mx4 is really good stuff. i use it on everything. i also use thermal grizzly conductonaut on my personal rig for that little extra. its expensive tho. so not the best option if your testing blocks or mounts.

I use AS5 Ceramique because I'm always swapping stuff around, works well enough, a tube lasts a very long time..... And it's cheap too.
Nothing wrong with the others listed but for my use Ceramique is what I run, even if going sub-zero - However that's sub-zero with DICE not LN2 but when I do I know I'll have to use something else.

I Used AS-5 for a long time also. It is like the standard that others are compared too. I have since switched to MX-4, Gelid, and my current Fav is KingPin's TIM. I still have several tubes of AS-5 that I use with Air and Water cooling, I'll use it until I run out :)

I got an epi pen sized tube of MX4 on Amazon for cheap, so that's what I'm using now. Before that BB had Antec's nano 7 fo $7 for a big tube, so I got three.

I have been using as5 almost exclusively since I've become a member here, lol.. But last December I bought a couple Thermalright coolers, and tried their tim, chill factor 3 and its actually pretty good. I don't have exact numbers, but about enough that I wont be buying another tube of as5 lol.. unless I have to. But I cant see that.

Here is a screen shot of HWM and Prime after 2 hours of blend.
TIM: Type 44
HS: V6GT
MB: X99-Designare EX
CPU: i7 6800K
Clock Speed: 4GHZ
Ram Speed: 3.2GHZ

i7-6800K.jpg

Back