• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Arctic silver

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PhatKirby

I remember reading on some review that liquid metal thermal grease is not usable on a heatsink with direct contact heatpipes. Is this true? Does this mean that I can't use Arctic Silver 5 on my Thermalright HR-02 Macho? I am currently using the same thermal paste on a Xigmatek Dark Knight which also has direct contact heat pipes. Do I need to change it?

I remember reading on some review that liquid metal thermal grease is not usable on a heatsink with direct contact heatpipes. Is this true? Does this mean that I can't use Arctic Silver 5 on my Thermalright HR-02 Macho? I am currently using the same thermal paste on a Xigmatek Dark Knight which also has direct contact heat pipes. Do I need to change it?

You are fine to be using Arctic Silver 5, its good for just about anything :thup:

What you are thinking of about not using with HDT heatsinks is the Coolaboratories Liquid Metal Pro stuff, which has gallium in it. And gallium eats aluminum like nobodies business and would destroy the aluminum of the HDT base in no time.

EDIT: BTW, the Macho isn't an HDT style heatsink, but rather has the heatpipes enclosed inside a nickel plated copper base. So it would be safe even with that Liquid Metal Pro stuff, since there is no aluminum in the base.

What you are thinking of about not using with HDT heatsinks is the Coolaboratories Liquid Metal Pro stuff, which has gallium in it. And gallium eats aluminum like nobodies business and would destroy the aluminum of the HDT base in no time.

EDIT: BTW, the Macho isn't an HDT style heatsink, but rather has the heatpipes enclosed inside a nickel plated copper base. So it would be safe even with that Liquid Metal Pro stuff, since there is no aluminum in the base.

Thanks for the clarification.

Back