• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Are my voltages too high?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Showbe

Registered
Currently have it at 4545 MHZ in Bios, on CPU-Z it says its at 4560. LLC has only 3 options for me Auto, Disable, and Enabled. Maybe the EVO/PRO version has those so mine doesnt. Thats probably why it has 5 options in the descriptions options ranging from (1)Low-(5)Extreme.

So far I have gotten my OC stable. Im wondering if my Voltage is perhaps set too high. In the program AI Suite II provided with my mobo it reads it my Voltage at 1.536 HW monitor seems to be just rounding it up.

I have read on the forums that 1.55 voltage is the highest you should set the FX-4100 keeping it under 70 C. Also saw someone else state 1.52 should be the highest the FX-4100 should be at, but that was one person and I cant find any other info on that to back up his claim. Well I have it at 1.46875 and with LLC enabled my Vcore is at 1.536. I managed to get it stable at this Voltage with my temps maxing out at 61C during stress testing with the following OCCT, Prime95 Blend test, Linx, Intelburnin and AMD Overdrive. It idles around 35-40C. So are my voltages acceptable? Or should I lower them back to 1.43 in my BIOS so it stays at 1.5-1.52.

I tried to OC my memory with no luck. I couldnt even tighten my timings at all. When raising my Voltage from 1.5 to 1.65 on my Dram. So I left it as is.

EDIT: That CPU-Z CPU Tab screenshot is was taken before I set it back down to 4545, after stress testing and showed it unstable, All the other tabs are correct information. So please excuse that part. Everything else is correct though. The bIOS is where my real numbers are at. I accidently cut out the bottom of the memory tab when uploading but it is all at stock except for its at 1(T) not 2(T). 9-9-9-24-41
9vcwg5.jpg
2a7e8u0.jpg

Last edited:
At 810 mhz (or DDR3 1620 mhz) your ram is already overclocked a little. Actually, because 1600 mhz is the "XMP" profile it is already overclocked at that frequency. XMP = eXtended Memory Profile or something like that and it is the advertised overclock profile at which the memory is marketed.

I would say your CPU core voltage and your core temps are at the upper limit of what I would feel comfortable with but if it's Prime95 blend stable (for at least two hours) I say go with it.

At 810 mhz (or DDR3 1620 mhz) your ram is already overclocked a little. Actually, because 1600 mhz is the "XMP" profile it is already overclocked at that frequency. XMP = eXtended Memory Profile or something like that and it is the advertised overclock profile at which the memory is marketed.

I would say your CPU core voltage and your core temps are at the upper limit of what I would feel comfortable with but if it's Prime95 blend stable (for at least two hours) I say go with it.

Well I tried to put the multiplier at 23x but I failed a stability test in 10 minutes so I just moved frequency up by 2 to get it close to 4.55 GHZ. So far it is stable since I cant manage to get it any higher using the multiplier so I had to do that.

Even with a high voltage as long as it stays cool is the important thing right? I always thought if you kept your chip cool it shouldnt be no difference even if you put the voltage higher. No one has really answered that question for me which is why I am asking if they are too high. Before on my stock heatsink/fan it would hit 65c+ at 4200 ghz with a really high voltage.

. . . Even with a high voltage as long as it stays cool is the important thing right? I always thought if you kept your chip cool it shouldnt be no difference even if you put the voltage higher. No one has really answered that question for me which is why I am asking if they are too high. Before on my stock heatsink/fan it would hit 65c+ at 4200 ghz with a really high voltage.

To a point, yes, but even with cool temps there will be excessive electron migration at very high voltages. How high is that? You'll get a variety of answers to that question but I think most would say in excess of 1.6v. The other thing you need to be concerned about is the strain on the motherboard components of high volltage.

The other thing you need to be concerned about is the strain on the motherboard components of high volltage.

You can feel the heat coming from my VRM sinks on CHV when pushing 8 core FX to 4.8Ghz with 1.55Vcore. That heat means it truly is not just the cpu that is being stressed when pushing Vcore.

To a point, yes, but even with cool temps there will be excessive electron migration at very high voltages. How high is that? You'll get a variety of answers to that question but I think most would say in excess of 1.6v. The other thing you need to be concerned about is the strain on the motherboard components of high volltage.

how long u think a chip will last at 1.55v? o_O As in how long before the thing migrates to death?

Hey, swampdonkey, be careful that you don't hijack someone else's thread.

are you overclocking in the bios and ai suite?
trents and rgone will tell you that they have had to save my bacon a time or two trying that.

If you're just using ai suite as a monitor that's ok.

if you have invoked the red ring around the green button in amd overdrive at anytime, if you have issues at lowerclocks, try uninstallind amd overdrive first. i have run into all these issues.

Back