• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

are there motherboards that support the 6300

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
First it is still likely that there are boards in stock on big etailers shelves that do not have the lastest Vishera bios flashed onto them. My CHV is working fine with FX-8350 and bios from 2011 and there is a Vishera bios for my mobo, but as well as it is working with that older bios...I can assure you I am not flashing a bios.

About the board you linked. The few Amazon customers posting a 'user' reveiw of the motherboard did seem to well impressed. As many 5 star users as there were 2 star users. That means usually feast or famine. Must not be a very poplular mobo since I did not find any 'big-name' website doing a review.

Customer Reviews
Gigabyte SKT-AM3+ 970A-DS3 FX 3.1 Motherboard

Last edited:
The Gigabyte 970A-UD3 is a little nicer than the DS3 that you linked. I have the UD3 and it worked fine with my Vishera CPU. I did flash the BIOS but I was able to do it right from the BIOS screen with my CPU. I didn't need to use an older CPU to flash or anything like that. It was very easy. I'm guessing it would be the same for the DS3.

I know that any new 990 MB will have current BIOS, my GA-990FXA-UD5 came with the new BIOS, there was also a label on the box that said "New AM3+ CPU BIOS Installed".
As Juane said it may work with out updating the BIOS, I did have to update on a GA-880GA-UD3H with a Phenom II 1090T to get full CPU support for that chip.

The 970a-D3S is the non-USA version of the 970-D3H with one small exception. It includes a heatsink on the VRM where the US d3h does not. If you can stretch your budget just a bit I would definitely aim for the UD3 though the extra power phases can really help with voltage swings. When overclocking that means you can get a more stable overclock at a lower vCore since it wont be jumping all over.

My gigabyte 990FXa-UD3 did not require an update to be bootable with a vishera installed. I did do the update though as it added a few features and fixed unusual throttling that the BD bios was causing, but nothing that made the system unusable. So as long as the mobo you buy comes with atleast a fairly recent BD bios it should not be a problem.

The 970a-D3S is the non-USA version of the 970-D3H with one small exception. It includes a heatsink on the VRM where the US d3h does not. If you can stretch your budget just a bit I would definitely aim for the UD3 though the extra power phases can really help with voltage swings. When overclocking that means you can get a more stable overclock at a lower vCore since it wont be jumping all over.

My gigabyte 990FXa-UD3 did not require an update to be bootable with a vishera installed. I did do the update though as it added a few features and fixed unusual throttling that the BD bios was causing, but nothing that made the system unusable. So as long as the mobo you buy comes with atleast a fairly recent BD bios it should not be a problem.

ok i will try to stretch the budget a bit and order that one is is double the price of the other one in my country
so this mobo is very bad? http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...pf_rd_t=301&pf_rd_p=240112507&pf_rd_i=970-D3H

That motherboard(AM3 variant) was hardly any good at overclocking Phenom-IIs. So let me put it this way, if overclocking IS NOT your goal then cheap out on the board and drop a 6300 on it. If you plan to overclock quit being cheap and buy a decent motherboard.

There are 2 things critical to a performance PC's success which should NEVER be cheapened out on: 1 PSU never ever ever build a performance PC with a cheap PSU because when(not if) it fails its going to take other components with it, 2 motherboard everything in the system is connected to it, and if it cant hold its own the rest of your parts may as well be cheap junk.

Look I have an 8120 sitting on an Asus M5A78 it has basically the same VRM and chipset as that gigabyte board, is this ok? not particularly. Why then am I doing it? Because the board was cheap and I wanted to get a quadcore, but instead my left over 8120 got installed, and I have to run the CPU BELOW stock speed so the board wont overload, and that's after I added a heatsink AND fan to the VRM, added a fan to the northbridge, and liquid cooled the CPU. So is it worth it to put a good CPU on a cheap motherboard? Absolutely not I cant even get the FX to run stock with turbo off let alone do something worthwhile. So now I am the proud owner of a piece of trash motherboard that with any luck Ill find a very very low end chip for cheap to drop into it so I can donate it to a family member, because lord only knows its not doing my wife's high end liquid cooled gaming PC worth a damn.

So is the UD3 worth twice as much as that 770 based board???

That motherboard(AM3 variant) was hardly any good at overclocking Phenom-IIs. So let me put it this way, if overclocking IS NOT your goal then cheap out on the board and drop a 6300 on it. If you plan to overclock quit being cheap and buy a decent motherboard.

There are 2 things critical to a performance PC's success which should NEVER be cheapened out on: 1 PSU never ever ever build a performance PC with a cheap PSU because when(not if) it fails its going to take other components with it, 2 motherboard everything in the system is connected to it, and if it cant hold its own the rest of your parts may as well be cheap junk.

Look I have an 8120 sitting on an Asus M5A78 it has basically the same VRM and chipset as that gigabyte board, is this ok? not particularly. Why then am I doing it? Because the board was cheap and I wanted to get a quadcore, but instead my left over 8120 got installed, and I have to run the CPU BELOW stock speed so the board wont overload, and that's after I added a heatsink AND fan to the VRM, added a fan to the northbridge, and liquid cooled the CPU. So is it worth it to put a good CPU on a cheap motherboard? Absolutely not I cant even get the FX to run stock with turbo off let alone do something worthwhile. So now I am the proud owner of a piece of trash motherboard that with any luck Ill find a very very low end chip for cheap to drop into it so I can donate it to a family member, because lord only knows its not doing my wife's high end liquid cooled gaming PC worth a damn.

So is the UD3 worth twice as much as that 770 based board???

yes it is but is the asrock pro 3 /pro4 good? and i will propably go with the 965BE because that is what razethew0rld recomends on their youtube chanel

Last edited:
The Asrock pro motherboards are decent but not great. Depending on which model your talking about it could be on either end of the spectrum. However, if your planning to put a Phenom-II quad core chip on it then your choice of motherboard is less restrictive.

Perhaps if you post your budget for the entire system and a list of any parts you will be reusing we could help you maximize your setup. We have some people here on this forum who are master deal finders!

The Asrock pro motherboards are decent but not great. Depending on which model your talking about it could be on either end of the spectrum. However, if your planning to put a Phenom-II quad core chip on it then your choice of motherboard is less restrictive.

Perhaps if you post your budget for the entire system and a list of any parts you will be reusing we could help you maximize your setup. We have some people here on this forum who are master deal finders!

i have about 520 euro to spend on it (i found an excellent deal on a 7850) and i have a hdd and a dvd writer laying around and i found this mobo is it a good one http://www.amazon.co.uk/ASRock-970D...TF8&colid=2568L25T4VWJS&coliid=I2I1X1XQ7SMLM3 it looks like it is cooled and i am having a hard time deciding between the 965 BE or the 1045t the latter is 10 euros more expensive

Get the quad core, your a gamer and that boards got the same weak 4+1 power regulation and 3 or 4 other boards we suggested against. You will be much happier with a 4Ghz quad core, than a 3.5-3.6Ghz six core I assure you.

Back