• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
i havent checked out any professional reviews of it. gb makes solid gear i wouldnt over think it. your chances of getting a dud (and vice versa) is essentially the same with any of the major mb manufacturers.
whats the rest of the rig consist of?

1-5 8500 - msi b360 gaming plus - xfx rx 5700 xt raw 11

where is glass city?

Solid board...

But, unless you need a feature you current board doesnt have, why upgrade just the board? Your cpu is locked so you cant overclock.

I wish you had a single upgrade thread, lol. One thread you ask about upgrading cpu..decide against it... but still want a z390? Ask about amd boards... a gpu... lol. I dont know which way is up with you to help! :)

I went to school at UT, maxfly :)

ut,,,is that university of texas?

yea..i agree i quess....the board is probably do no better than current board, without a better cpu...i just have some minor issues with the msi b-360 gaming plus, like not getting into bios, and very slow booting...

..i have looked at reviews of cpus on yourtube, my i 8500 still holds up nicely against most....i quess i will wait for 10 gen, out soon i believe

I was looking at that but went with the Z390 Master I think because (if I remember) the Master had a better VRM solution for more solid overclocking.
I think Buildzoid covered it here:

The weaker Vcore phase doubler was used for the Aorus Aultra, Pro Wifi, Pro, Elite,

The stronger Vcore phase doubler was used for the Aorus Xtreme, and Aorus Master plus these had 2 CPU VccGT phases instead of just 1 as the rest of the line has.

In the end it depends on what you are planning on using the board for. Just gaming it's 100% fine. For some fun overclocking the Master is the way to go.

Last edited:
OP did you connect the boot drive to SATA 0? The first SATA drive port will give the fastest OS boot up. The GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS ELITE LGA 1151 LINK: https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813145092 is a good motherboard for the i5 8500, If your looking for a good board that will boot fast and works well.

The first SATA drive port will give the fastest OS boot up.
Does the port make a difference? I would think it only matters for third party controllers which need to be stood up in POST which is later than the chipset (where native SATA ports are sourced from).

Does the port make a difference? I would think it only matters for third party controllers which need to be stood up in POST which is later than the chipset (where native SATA ports are sourced from).

Yes on some motherboards BIOS looks for the OS on the first SATA1 port and has a delay timer so it won't miss the OS drive boot, before BIOS searches for the next SATA 2 port to boot the OS drive, then the BIOS keeps looking through the rest of SATA ports for the OS boot drive.

Yes on some motherboards BIOS looks for the OS on the first SATA1 port and has a delay timer so it won't miss the OS drive boot, before BIOS searches for the next SATA 2 port to boot the OS drive, then the BIOS keeps looking through the rest of SATA ports for the OS boot drive.
News to me! I'd love to read more about it. Links from anywhere official confirming this?

My understanding is the bios will find the device on whatever native port in the same time regardless. As in, as soon as the integrated SATA controller on the chipset is initialized, it will boot from whatever the boot order is you set in the bios. It doesnt wait to 'see' a drive or search for one in any order... its TOLD where to pull boot info from by what the user sets in the bios. Either windows manager (which is not a sata port if you look in your bios and boot order) or the actual drive (older windows). It's not like they come online in any order. Sounds like an older feature and outdated in the past several generations?

Last edited:
I don't have a link. However, most modern motherboards on each POST the BIOS automatically searches for the boot sector on a drive to find the boot order and will take more time searching through all the drives starting at the first SATA port. Nothing on a computer is done all at the same time except parallel processing, it's done with steps on a programming tree.

How does the BIOS automatically find the boot drive then then boot sector on a drive. It has to automatically search for it on POST.

How does the BIOS automatically find the boot drive then then boot sector on a drive. It has to automatically search for it on POST.
As I said, it goes to the drive you have in the bios as primary boot first. Secondary next and so on. It is 'searching' in the order you tell it to (how you have boot order set in the bios), not automatically. If my drive is on SATA4 and it is set as first in boot order, that's where it looks first. If it doesnt find it, on to the next in line in boot order.

There is no boot time difference between ports so long as the ports are the native ones on the chipset. 3rd party ports can take longer as the controller has to initialize and after the native ports.

Last edited:
On every POST my BIOS automatically sets the boot order with finding the boot drive on any SATA port.

I'm not going to continue on here in this guy's thread. PM me if you want to continue this discussion...as I said in my PM message already. :)

EDIT: I believe we have come to an understanding... you can place your SATA drive on any Intel port. After the first boot, every port will boot at the same speed - it does NOT have to be in SATA_0.

Last edited:
i quess it is a waste of money, due to the fact i have a i-8500 sitting in it....and i quess the next gernation into cpu , 10th, is going to take a different socket, maybe socket 1159

Back