• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

are these parts compatible? (liquid cooling, motherboard, case)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

liya

its my first time building a computer. i have someone guiding me through it but i want to make sure i've got all the right parts

water cooler: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835856025

case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133194

motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128841

i've already bought everything but i don't want to mess up the actual installation. if you have any tips on installing it i would be forever grateful

also my case doesn't show up on pcpartpicker unfortunately, so i have no idea if i got the right thing or if i have to return it

thank you guys so much for your input. i owe you guys a bunch!

Not sure about the quality of that AIO (water cooler) you picked...

That said, I don't believe there is enough room in that case for that 3x120mm radiator. I only see 200mm slots in the front and top...perhaps it would fit up top? But not sure.

Yup, looks like you'll be returning either the AIO or the case (I'd return both, personally...).

Unless you planned on mounting the radiator externally?

EDIT:

Fractal Arc XL
Rosewill Rise ($90)
Thermaltake X1 ($50! - after rebate)
Corsair 780T
Corsair 450D or 750D

Any of those will either be cheaper or nicer (or both) than the case you bought and will fit a 360mm radiator internally.

We need:

-list of parts already purchased
-parts you will be reusing
-gaming resolution/other purposes for the PC
-budget

We can help you a lot more with those details! :thup:

Last edited:
Yup, looks like you'll be returning either the AIO or the case (I'd return both, personally...).

Unless you planned on mounting the radiator externally?

EDIT:

Fractal Arc XL
Rosewill Rise ($90)
Thermaltake X1 ($50! - after rebate)
Corsair 780T
Corsair 450D or 750D

Any of those will either be cheaper or nicer (or both) than the case you bought and will fit a 360mm radiator internally.

We need:

-list of parts already purchased
-parts you will be reusing
-gaming resolution/other purposes for the PC
-budget

We can help you a lot more with those details! :thup:

hey there! thank you so much. i'll just link all the parts that i've ordered

Here's my full parts list:
  • Case: Thermaltake Overseer RX-I VN700M1W2N Black Steel / Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case
  • Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z170XP-SLI (rev. 1.0) LGA 1151 Intel Z170 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
  • Graphics Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 06G-P4-4995-KR 6GB SC+ GAMING w/ACX 2.0+
  • Processor: Intel Boxed Core I7-6700K 4.00 GHz 8M Processor Cache 4 LGA 1151 BX80662I76700K
  • Liquid Cooling: DEEPCOOL Gamer Storm CAPTAIN 360
  • Sound Card: Sound Blaster Z PCIe Gaming Sound Card
  • SSD: SAMSUNG 850 EVO 2.5" 500GB SATA III 3-D Vertical Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-75E500B/AM
  • HDD: WD Blue 1TB Desktop Hard Disk Drive - 7200 RPM SATA 6 Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5 Inch - WD10EZEX - OEM
  • RAM: G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB)
  • Power Supply: Sentey® Power Supply 650w 80 Plus Bronze

i don't have any parts that i will be re-using but i do have a rad monitor and keyboard

it will be used for 3d modeling, art, and gaming

i already have everything right here, so if there's a way i can make it all work (like mounting the fan externally) then that'd be awesome. i have no idea how to do it externally though

Last edited:
lots of clicking... list em by name! We know what they are!! :)

EDIT: Clicked through all of it...

1. Do you need a soundcard? The onboard is great for most people. You really need a solid set of speakers or headphones to hear more out of a good sound card.
2. Ram - Save $20 and grab these (DDR4 3000 instead of 3200): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...n_DDR4_SDRAM_DDR4_3000-_-20-231-926-_-Product
Non need for much faster really.
3. Senty is a great brand PSU, so you are set there. However for the same money and the same if not higher quality + gold efficiency... EVGA SUpernova G2 650W - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...054&cm_re=Supernova_G2-_-17-438-054-_-Product

As we said, I dont trust the quality of the AIO and doubt it will fit in the case. Not sure how you would mount the AIO externally considering the AIO does not come apart. next time, ask us BEFORE buying. :)

Last edited:
:faceplate: Yea, didn't think through my externally mounted AIO suggestion haha That would certainly only work with custom WC :)

+1 to EarthDog's suggestions.

Unless you're planning on overclocking the CPU heavily (which I doubt given the mid-range mobo pick), I don't really see the point of the 360mm rad AIO. You could just get a 240mm or 280mm instead and still be able to overclock as high as that board will allow. You'll have to return the Deepcool anyway...

I still say return the case and get something nicer for the same or less money.

Ugh I was trying to edit the post but chrome was being an ***. I'm currently using a surface pro 2 until I can get everything built up.
I might just have to settle with what I have and return the liquid cooling unless i can just duct tape it to the outside of the case and pretend it works :eek:

Again, I would return the case and cooler (even if I had to pay shipping), but if you're set on keeping them, you could try to mod the case to fit the rad. If you can get the 5.25" drive bay out, it should fit up top. Not sure how that hot-swappable drive feature will play into it tho...

I'll definitely look into that! I don't think I'll have any issue with returning the water cooler, but the case is ginormous and really heavy so it looks like I'll have to keep it. I'll definitely investigate the drive bay and see if there's a way to remove it without it being destructive.

Thank you a bunch for your help so far by the way!

It could be less than you think to return it. Sometimes etailers will let you print a shipping label through them and deduct a certain amount from your return and their shipping rates are steeply discounted. I would look into it. You've spent close to $2000 I'm guessing on this build and you'll probably have it for several years. If it were me, losing $30 to ship back a case that didn't make me happy would be no big deal (not to mention, you can make that up by buying a less expensive - but nicer - case instead).

Good luck and remember to ask us first next time! :D

Back