• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Are you ready?!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Time to build a new rig then, I'll probably grab the fastest videocard out there then build around that and a new conroe.

Better get 'em...selling like crazy!

Mine's paid for and on it's way...

x1900xt

;)

Has Dr. Pande said anything about supporting nVidia or older ATi cards? I would love to see Quad SLI F@H Support before I go out and buy a new rig, but I'm not sure if there's any timeframe for the expansion of GPU Folding.

Seven said:
Has Dr. Pande said anything about supporting nVidia or older ATi cards? I would love to see Quad SLI F@H Support before I go out and buy a new rig, but I'm not sure if there's any timeframe for the expansion of GPU Folding.

From what I understand, support for nvidia and older ati cards are a "maybe later" item.

Quote Dr. Pande as to why ATI vs Nvidia

"Yes. It's mostly about the number of shaders: 48 vs 12. However, there are a few other quirks of the ATI hardware which make it slow down if you use too many registers -- you don't see this much for graphics, but FAH gets hit hard (hopefully they will fix this soon)."

Correction by Dr. Pande

"I typed the above way too quickly (lots going on right now). For one thing, it's NVIDIA that has the register slow down problem, not ATI (that's why we're using ATI not NVIDIA). Secondly, in addition to this issue, ATI can execute much deeper loops than Nvidia can, forcing us to use a multi-pass approach on Nvidia. The other big one is the fetch latency hiding is better on ATI than NV.

(Thanks for Mike Houston for catching this!)"

Press Release

"MARKHAM, ONTARIO, Sep 29, 2006 (CCNMatthews via COMTEX News Network) -- Today ATI (TSX:ATY)(NASDAQ:ATYT) announced that it is pioneering a new technology known as Stream Computing, that has the potential to dramatically impact almost every sector of the market. Along with leading companies and academic institutions worldwide, ATI is working to build a stream computing ecosystem, one that delivers the performance, applications, software and tools necessary to turn ATI's vision into reality.

Stream computing allows ATI graphics processors (GPUs) to work in concert with today's high-performance, low-latency computer processors (CPUs) to solve complex computational problems. Using stream computing, in simulations today processing of risk assessment models similar to those used by financial institutions' were completed 16 times faster than traditional methods(1), oil and gas companies are seeing seismic model processing increased by more than 20 times(1), and Stanford University is seeing disease research accelerated by as much as 40 times, giving them the ability to process three years worth of research data in just one month(2).

Stream computing makes use of ATI's sophisticated graphics processors (GPUs) that have until now, been used solely to calculate and render millions of pixels onto computer monitors, hundreds of times each second. Stream computing harnesses that tremendous processing power for a wide range of scientific, business and consumer computing applications, providing organizations the ability to process incredible amounts of information in significantly less time. "

"Scientific research - Today ATI's stream computing efforts are helping to save lives by driving life sciences to produce results faster in areas such as disease research, giving organizations the option to do more granular studies in the same amount of time as in the past(4). ATI announced today that Stanford University will make available a new distributed computing application that takes advantage of ATI processors for disease research. "

Quote Dr. Pande

"It's mainly about the processor on the card. The card names are very misleading, as a high number card doesn't mean a powerful processor (as far as FAH is concerned). All the 1900 class cards have the R580 processor. None of the others do. That's the deciding factor right now."

Interesting tidbits on gpus for calculations

http://techreport.com/onearticle.x/10907

First kudos to ihrstdr for sticking it out in a rather curt thread. A personal observation. I am not as patient when it comes to what I percieve as rude people. I tip my hat to you sir.

Now we know that testing was done on 25 1900xt and 25 1900xtx's.

Please note the "up to" on the shaders. http://www.ati.com/products/radeonx1900/specs.html

All of the x1900's (save for sli) I could find where of the 36 shader variety. From ATI's site the following at the bottom of the page:

http://www.ati.com/products/radeonx1900/radeonx1900gt.html

Pulled from legion hardware:

"However, where the X1800XT features 16 pixel shaders the newer 7900GT utilizes 24 pixel shaders. On the other hand the core is clocked significantly lower at 450MHz and the memory at 1.32GHz."

PLEASE not that Stanford has not indicated any support or hint of support for the x1800xt. I note this only as it appears that the shaders may be of great interest to us here at overclockers.

One more note. There appears to have been some talk of crediting the work done on a different standard rather than the same standard for the same work unit completed. One may want to keep an eye on this as it appears that all work units can not be done on gpus and cpus are still required to accomplish some work units. Further if the work unit points is adjusted to reflect the unit accomplishing the work rather than the work itself then we may not see the huge advantage expected. There of course would/should be bonuses in the beginning to encourage gpu usage. The advantage though may not be as large as anticipated after release. We shall all of course see. If the advantage is not as anticipated then my last 1900xt has been purchased. If the advantage is too large then those that are in it for the points as well as the medicine will have gpus working while the truly "in it for the medicine" would seemingly pick up the unwanted units with the cpu's. Touch of sarcasm noted of course. Dr. Pande seems to have recognized this and I am sure is in a bit of a quendry about it.

Last edited:
ihrsetrdr said:
Not sure which warehouse they ship out of; if it ships from Tennessee you might get yours first!
;)

Would be really cool if they had something for the agp multitudes as well but alas. At any rate, first real vid card in at least two years (since I stopped competing) so ironing it out, checking fah speeds, setup and taking a serious look at what I consider a dubious cooling solution for 24/7 folding will take a bit. Let me know when you are up and then I will fire it up (assuming it is ready).:-/

Dr. Pande, "I feel very strongly that we've got the best donor community in distributed computing and we owe it to you to do what we can to better help you help us!"

Now that is a quote I can live with.

So, you want to build a "farm in a box", here are the necessary ingredients;

1. Case (~75$)
2. Beefy PC Power and Cooling Turbo-Cool 1KW - 1000 Watt - QUAD SLI Ready Power Supply (TC1KW4E) (~499$)
3. ASUS P5W64 WS Professional (~315$)
4. Four ATI Radeon X1900 GT (4 x 269$)
5. Intel Kentsfield CPU (~999$)
6. Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400 2GB Kit DDR2-800 XMS2-6400 Xtreme Performance Memory Retail (~286$)
7. Empty wallet (0$)

Directions: combine and test thoroughly.

Fold Appetit! :)

PS - don't worry ihrsey, not built...... Yet. ;)

Delicious recipe, I put a copy of it in wife's recipe book. Hopefully she'll see it(and click "buy") right before Christmas. ;)

Macaholic said:

Oooh, but I trust that the Yet is right on the horizon!

;)

Macaholic said:

1. Case (~75$)
2. Beefy PC Power and Cooling Turbo-Cool 1KW - 1000 Watt - QUAD SLI Ready Power Supply (TC1KW4E) (~499$)
6. Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400 2GB Kit DDR2-800 XMS2-6400 Xtreme Performance Memory Retail (~286$)
7. Empty wallet (0$)

Methinks you might want alter the recipe a bit for those tender palates that can't take all that hot stuff...

... substitute a few BIG fans and don't use a case :D

Sounds like this would make an excellent choice for a furnace is you are thinking of switching to electric heat for the winter :eek:

Also, i wonder if 2 GB of memory will be enough for 4 cores running what sounds like a new type/scale of wu?

And what psu will we upgrade to if we find instability when oc'ing all those components? There should be a contest to see who can exceed the capacity of the 1KW puppies first.

Last edited:
Macaholic said:

1. Case (~75$)
7. Empty wallet (0$)

cook me dinner on it :D

Xtreme Barton said:
cook me dinner on it :D

:bang head: of course ... how silly of me ... a new bbq for the traditional folding feast/sacrifices :D

pscout said:
:bang head: of course ... how silly of me ... a new bbq for the traditional folding feast/sacrifices :D

Of course! Just a reminder for those backyard chef's...beer and BBQ sauce are NOT compatable with pcb's. :D

Pete said:
And what psu will we upgrade to if we find instability when oc'ing all those components? There should be a contest to see who can exceed the capacity of the 1KW puppies first.

Dual 1kw puppies! :eek: :eek: :eek:

while looking around for suppliers/prices i came across a few retailers listing the x1950 pro 256MB at slightly less than the local cdn price for the the 1900XT 512MB.

However, I haven't been able to find any specs on it ... I am wondering if they are the same as 1950XTX just less memory ... if so could be a good choice. The Pro adjective makes me wonder if there would be other changes that would limit the folding performance.

for folding only, i am also guessing that 256MB memory will be enough, and no gains to be had by going to 512MB ... but i guess we will have to waint till monday to find out :shrug:

Back