• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ARGH....Went from 3.5hr's Per WU to 5...Need a little help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

beau_safken

Ok just yesterday I went from 3.5hrs to today at 5hrs. I only installed Nortan Anti-Virus and did some critical patches... Heres what I got first off: XP1800+@1542, Epox 8k3a, 256 DDR PC2100 Crucial, Win98... I can't think about what is eating my memory so badly to jump me up an Hour and a half per WU. Ok heres what I think would increase my performance again:
  • New BIOS...Im still using the BIOS my board came with
  • Getting rid of the Stock HSF and get a AX-7
  • Can you crunch in safe-mode??? that would mean a lot more memory,,,no idea though
  • I have a RAM setting command in my BIOS for: Normal, Fast, Faster, Fastest....I set to Fast...think that hurt anything
  • Anyone with a 8k3a, Give me some ideas PLEASE

Thanks in advance...I hope to get 8 WU's a day out of this thing..While being a usable computer

Did you check the AR. I'm guessing you got a really low AR WU. You will probably only be able to average 6 1/2 to 7 units per day once you factor in the low AR units.

well, w/ ur machine [email protected] (unlocked, right?) it's very hard to get 8WU/day. in order to do 8WU/day, u'll need ave. 3hr flat / WU!! check our benchmark database to see what kinda AthlonXP rig u'll need in order to do that! basically, u'll need somewhere around 1.7G range w/ 166+FSB & memory speed!!

oh, anti virus huh? that might be the cause of slow down! try to disable it and see if ur time drop back down. also, set it excluded ur SETI folder when scanning too!!

In my experience Norton stuff is usually among the biggest resource hogs out there- I don't use anything from norton for that reason (plus I prefer other av stuff anyway.)

As far as getting Seti to run faster: there are two things that the clc likes at LEAST as much as a fast cpu- high fsb and fast ram.

I run the highest fsb I can on everything, even at the cost of some mhz. I also try to keep my ram at the fastest settings possible.

Finding the best combination for a given system takes some time, but SiSofts memory benchmark helps a bit; there is a definite relationship to high mem benches and fast wu times.
Get a baseline of where you are now, and then start tweaking the ram: bench at every step and find the best settings.

I don't think you'll be able to hit 8 per with Norton running though.

Cool..After I got rid of Norton my times Dropped to an average of 3:40 minutes Per WU again. I had no idea how much that program really sucked the memory out of my computer. Thanks y'all

thats strange...I run norton on several different machines with no probs at all. Even running the 2003 beta on the main box. Did you exclude the SETI folder from the scan?

Back