• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Artifacting at stock clocks 7900gtx

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SuperFarStucker

My buddy just put together a rig, and he gets this kind of artifacting in BF2
screen0025rh.jpg

He has a silverstone zeus 520 and a lanparty board with a 165, his GPU clocks are stock and occasionally when he exits BF2 he will get graphical corruption on the desktop, rebooting resolves the issue.

It is a stock clocked BFG card and I know at least one other forum member had this problem (except it was with an 'oc' version) but has anyone else had an issue like this? WOW runs fine he says so apparently he doesn't experience this sort of thing in all games.

Does anyone have any ideas, I already told him to try different drivers and he is going to reinstall BF2 to rule out data file corruption, but I'm skeptical that this could be the cause because the desktop is also artifacting after a long session of bf2. Just send it back? :shrug: :shrug:

sounds like he got a bad one to me. Try rthdribl and see if it artifacts there, if so then its probably time to send her back.

FlakMonkey said:
Forgive me for my stupidity, but what is artifacting, and where is it in the pic? Thanks.

The head of the sniper.

Looks like he needs to reinstall / repatch battlefield 2 and update his drivers.

Sjaak said:
The head of the sniper.

Looks like he needs to reinstall / repatch battlefield 2 and update his drivers.

I agree there, I didn't make the image larger so it looked like to the right of the .308 there was an artifact as well as in the m21 and to the right of the sniper. My mistake.

there might just not be sufficient cooling in the case and the cards overheating, so ya how hot is it when it starts doing this, and how hot is it idle?

It definitely isn't overheating, the case has plenty of airflow and he took the side off the case and put a box fan on it to test this theory. I suppose the heatsink could have a bad mount but it seems to me he is getting some sort of video memory bit rot as the artifacts are systematic rather than random.

Last edited:
If it is not over heating, then it might be a bad pipeline.
I would still like to have a temp reading. Just so that theory can be put a side.

It occured to me perhaps the issue was with the higher range of his system memory as the issue was only manifesting itself in battlefield 2.

However, this seems to indicate the modules are faulty because they were running @ 3-4-4-8 2.66v 1T @ 240 FSB (9:10 270 fsb), lowering the divider to 166 (220 FSB) seems to have solved the problem. The GBHZ modules are rated for 3-4-4-8 @ 250 MHz. He just did this last night so it is perhaps to early to say whether the issue is resolved or not, I've told him to run memtest overnight @ 9:10 to confirm this was the issue, results to follow.

he indicated temperatures were well within normal operating limits (idle @ 44 c, load down @ high 50s low 60s)

SuperFarStucker said:
My buddy just put together a rig, and he gets this kind of artifacting in BF2
screen0025rh.jpg

He has a silverstone zeus 520 and a lanparty board with a 165, his GPU clocks are stock and occasionally when he exits BF2 he will get graphical corruption on the desktop, rebooting resolves the issue.

It is a stock clocked BFG card and I know at least one other forum member had this problem (except it was with an 'oc' version) but has anyone else had an issue like this? WOW runs fine he says so apparently he doesn't experience this sort of thing in all games.

Does anyone have any ideas, I already told him to try different drivers and he is going to reinstall BF2 to rule out data file corruption, but I'm skeptical that this could be the cause because the desktop is also artifacting after a long session of bf2. Just send it back? :shrug: :shrug:

Hey, I just made a thread about the same thing,
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=455658

I got artifacts at different settings, and then would have desktop corruption and would then reboot to solve the issue. It keeps artifacting as well in BF2, but not in HL2, Quake 4, etc.

Back