• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AS Ceramique and a question about cleaning alcohol

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

w00p

Ok, I've got 2 questions here...
First, is Artic Silver Ceramique thick enough to act as an adhesive for tiny alu heatsinks for the NB and SB.
I found an old P1 HS lying around wich I'm going to use for the NB of an old P3 gigabyte mobo, and the stock NB HS is going to be used as SB HS.
They're both tiny, the P1 HS is 40*40MM and the stock NB HS is 30*30MM.
The motherboard doesn't have through board mounting holes for the NB, so its gonna have to get adhesived to the NB, same for the SB.
If ASCeramique isn't thick enough to stick, how can I make it?

Second, cleaning alcohol, the northbridge chip with lots of residue left and the PCB around it.
Is cleaning alcohol dangerous for any plastics around? What about nail polish remover? (Since its the only thing that I currently have in the house)

Thanks in advance. I wont be able to reply to this thread for the rest of the day, only this evening or tomorrow (talking about the brussels, copenhagen,... timeline)

w00p said:
Ok, I've got 2 questions here...
First, is Artic Silver Ceramique thick enough to act as an adhesive for tiny alu heatsinks for the NB and SB.
I found an old P1 HS lying around wich I'm going to use for the NB of an old P3 gigabyte mobo, and the stock NB HS is going to be used as SB HS.
They're both tiny, the P1 HS is 40*40MM and the stock NB HS is 30*30MM.
The motherboard doesn't have through board mounting holes for the NB, so its gonna have to get adhesived to the NB, same for the SB.
If ASCeramique isn't thick enough to stick, how can I make it?

Second, cleaning alcohol, the northbridge chip with lots of residue left and the PCB around it.
Is cleaning alcohol dangerous for any plastics around? What about nail polish remover? (Since its the only thing that I currently have in the house)

Thanks in advance. I wont be able to reply to this thread for the rest of the day, only this evening or tomorrow (talking about the brussels, copenhagen,... timeline)

Get 91% (or higher) isopropyl alcohol and clean it, make sure it dries, good to go.

w00p said:
Dont use nail polish remover. Acetone works great but there tends to be aditives in nail polish remover that impede heat transfer.

Use isopropyl alcohol or carberator cleaner, or wait for ArctiClean to come on the market.

It should work fine as an adhesive. I use it for my vidcard ramsinks. It takes about 3 days to settle IIRC. no biggie. I love the stuff myself.

Artic Silver Ceramique isnt an adhesive - arctic silver sell a paste/epoxy mix which should do the trick nicely...

You could also use very small drops of superglue on the corners, with the ceramic applied on the rest of the HS.

Ok, I think I'll get 90+ % isopropyl alcohol cleaner for the job then.
You're sure it won't bite off any of the plastics or oxidate any of the metal?

Etacovda, it may not officially be an adhesive, but wait untill you have to spread that stuff out, its quite thick... As Boomstick has pointed out, they should be sufficient.
If I find some in the house I'll use one corner of a medium-low density glue.

I just had to remove the stock NB HS wich was practically glued on, not fun...

Dude, I nearly forgot to mention, thanks alot for your feedback everybody! :burn:

Last edited:
Back