• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AS3 vs. AS5

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kcstock

I wanted to get some input about which product is better.

I recently upgraded to a 3.0C and my temps have increased by about 7c from my 2.4C. I bought some AS5 to use on the new chip but this temp increase had me worried, so I re-seated my Zalman 7000 using AS3 instead. No real change in temp, still high.

So now i am wondering if it is worth the trouble to take it apart again and put the AS5 back on.

Thanks for the input!

i woudl if i were you, and then once it sits in it should lower again. (i get about a 5-8 C drop after my ASC sets in...)

was it hotter at first? Like I was saying using AS5 was a bit warmer that using AS3, when all other things were the same.

id go back to AS5 if i were you, and DONT forget that AS5 needs some time to "set" this will take some time, in which the temps will decrease more :)

I was just concerned because my temps were hotter with the AS5 immediatly after installation than they were with AS3 immediatly after installation.

AS5 I used the Dot methond from their website; AS3 used a razor to spread it ofer the cpu.

I noticed the same thing as you did when i put on my AS5. However after i put on my AS5 and it set for a few days the temps started to drop. Give it a few days...maybe 2 weeks.

aha... id use the same method on both, now you dont have exact same conditions lol :D

i spread it with a credit card, a reaaaaaaaallllllyyyy thin layer, works fine :)

LOL!

I actuall re-seated my as5 install 3 times last night. 2 with the dot method and one with the spread. the spread method, reported even Higher temps!!! i was idle at around 46C!

let the AS settle for gods sake! it says so in the manual it will take some time for "maximum particle to particle heat transfer"

I see a lot of you are talking about this AS5 ans AS3 stuff im quessing from what im hearing this is a thermal compund that goes on the processor. Im wondering is it better to use this compund then the stuff that came with my water colling kit.

it is better to use arctic silver, its a thermal paste, that surpasses any other paste on the market :cool:

you can use it on anything that needs paste, they even have an adhesive product, which you can use to glue heatsinks in to place etc..

www.arcticsilver.com

thats a good question but no....folding and do what ever else to give you cpu a max load doesnt speed up the process...they actually say in the intructions on the main arctic silver site to turn off your computer some to let it cool down or somethin like that

this is the actual part of the arctic silver instructions

Important Reminder:
Due to the unique shape and sizes of the particles in Arctic Silver's conductive matrix, it will take a up to 200 hours and several thermal cycles to achieve maximum particle to particle thermal conduction and for the heatsink to CPU interface to reach maximum conductivity. (This period will be longer in a system without a fan on the heatsink or with a low speed fan on the heatsink.) On systems measuring actual internal core temperatures via the CPU's internal diode, the measured temperature will often drop 2C to 5C over this "break-in" period. This break-in will occur during the normal use of the computer as long as the computer is turned off from time to time and the interface is allowed to cool to room temperature. Once the break-in is complete, the computer can be left on if desired.

Have any of you guys using AS5 seen increases in the temperature like I mentioned above? because if it only drops 3-7C after setting, then it would be only as good as the AS3 on my system.

I dont think I am assembling my Zalman 7000 incorrectly. It is pretty cummy prrof and I am getting consistent temps every time I re-seat it... They are just consistently High :)

My load temp with 3.0c @ 3.6 is around 63-67 C on my IC7-G (which is reported to display higher temps than other boards), but that is much higher than my old 2.4c @ 3.2 (load was 59C).

per the advice from this thread I re-applied the AS5 last night and like magic my temps appeared normal. I am sitting at 40C idle.

Back