• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asetek's GPU waterblock patents

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Smells like Apple.

Just like Amazon took out a patent on taking photos with a white background.

Who are these idiots allowing those patents to go threw?

I'll say the same i did last time. I am going take out a Patent on breathing, and charge a yearly fee of 1$ per person. That should work out at just over 7billion dollars a year.

How are the details not available? The patent filings are public domain. There will almost assuredly be a challenge and/or court case regarding the patents. Whether the competition is willing to pursue the challenge or just pay the licensing fee to asetek is a separate discussion.

That's right I've only read a few articles on it and didn't think to look up the patent itself. Sorry, It's late and I just got off work couple hours ago... I'll see if I can find it later and hopefully provide more info on it.

Seems to be this patent.

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-...&co1=AND&d=PTXT&s1=asetek&OS=asetek&RS=asetek

Abstract

A thermal interposer for a heat-generating electronic component located on an adapter card of a computer includes a thermally conducting planar body. The thermally conducting planar body may be configured to be coupled to the adapter card such that a first surface of the planar body is in thermal contact with a surface of the electronic component. The thermal interposer may also include a cold plate assembly removably coupled to a second surface of the planar body opposite the first surface. The cold plate assembly may include an inlet adapted to receive a cooling liquid into the cold plate assembly and an outlet adapted to discharge the cooling liquid from the cold plate assembly.

Asetek are patent trolls. I'am all for protecting your own ideas etc but they go too far.

My first thought when i read about this was "Here we go again!"

Didn't Obama recently advise the (supreme) court to pass on the message that court-time wasting patent trolling will be met with SEVERE fines ?

This patent is so vague that basically ALL (gpu) waterblocks are in violation of the patent....

While Asetek could pressure Swiftech, they didn't have the guts to take on CoolerMaster... so i can only hope that Samsung or Microsoft (or Exxon as far as i care) suddenly feel the urge to start building GPU waterblocks....

Last edited:
Didn't Obama recently advise the (supreme) court to pass on the message that court-time wasting patent trolling will be met with SEVERE fines ?

As much as I would enjoy commenting on this I shall refrain, lets not make this political. I would like to say that I hope patent trolls such as asetek gets whats coming to them.

Back