• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Aspire 5050 tweaks / upgrades

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jokers_greg

Well I got me an Acer aspire 5050. Big mistake, it's very slow and HHHOOOOTTT, these are idle temps at max performance in an office (so its not hot in here..)
laptopinferno.jpg
the screen shot was taken just after a restart ( I was installing a few things)

Anyways, I'm looking to upgrade the CPU to a 65nm dually, and I pray she runs cooler and a lot faster. I'm also thinking of perhaps finding a new HDD, until I read that the aspire uses PATA.. sigh. Before I upgrade any of those though, I plan to do a full reformat + 4gb of RAM. So here's a couple of questions:

1) how do i update my BIOS, and how do I know if it'll support the 65nm TL64's?

2) Should I replace all the factory thermal paste with arctic MX-2?

3) Shouold I look for a replacement fan

4) What is a good HDD to upgrade too ( I have a Hitachi HTS541680J9AT00)

5) The laptop came with windows preinstalled, can I just use a friend's mediacenter XP CD and install with the CD-key that I have (it's on the back of my laptop)? Are there any good high performance (low resources) tools out there that I can use to run profiles like low batter or battery mode, or whatever?

6) anything else I can do to help this laptop's performance? I want to write zero's to this drive and reinstall a fresh copy of XP. Is there anything else I can do past that?

Back