• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASRock 870 Extreme3 + G.SKill memory: Bad combo: Need new RAM suggestion

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The Command Rate is already set to 2T, so don't worry about changing it via CPU-Tweaker.

Ahh, ok.
Just for my own information, is that something that can be adjust in the BIOS, or just via CPU-Tweaker?

Anything else I should take a look at, or is that it?

Memtest86 has been running for almost 5 hours now (have 2 DIMMS in) and has made 5 successful passes.

Any other suggestions?

Really appreciate everyones help here.

Much appreciated.

Cheers,

Sek

Just poking around more, I found this:

More info on memory and board

Little bit different timings than what I am using.

Right now, 9-9-9-24-2T at 1.54

Now, is there a "sweet spot", sorta speak?

And the best way to find the sweet spot is to...?

This is actually quite fun for me actually. Learning a lot about this.

I was also told my G.Skill support to set the DRAM Freq to DDR3-1333 and raise the bus frequency to 240 (which, honestly, not sure how to do)

Just wanted to throw that out there and get some more helpful information.

Much obliged.

Sektor

So I ran a memtest today on a single DIMM.
It passed 7 times, but then froze. Total test time was a little over 4 hours.

Not sure what my next steps should be.

Suggestions?

Thx

Sek

Wow this thread has been really helpful!! Sek i am having the exact same problem as you. My suggestion is to buy new ram. :D I mean, that is probably what i am going to do. It seems like less of a hassle to RMA, or sell and buy.

Sooo.... i desided to make this post in hopes of helping anyone looking at buying this board with Gskill memory, so ok. I bought this board because i wanted a cheap rig that i could use in my garage to tune my cars ECU for street racing. I not only saw this board cheap on newegg but i also saw some cheap, but good looking "GSkill" memory (the ram i bought was the blue heatsink 8-8-8-24 8gig pair) i saw nothing but reviews saying this combo is bad, it wont work, computer shuts off after gaming, along wtih many many forums saying the same thing. being a huge car nut, usly when someone tells me this wont work i find a way to make it work, so this is what happen with my setup.

(Problem) i plugged everything in got her up and running using said memory and motherboard combo along with a msi radeon 6950. Computer booted right up no problems at all but sure enough like many ppl said before i got the frozen screen, and blue screen of death after the first 2 hours of being turned on

(Solution) i went into the bios notice all the timings where set wrong so i set them to the speed of the ram then using OC Tuner i bumped the volts by two clicks on the North Bridge, the DRAM, and the CPU. I have not had a single problem, glitch, error, or anything since i upped the volts.

(Testing) i didnt use anything fancy like alot of guys do like prime95 and what not but i have not turned my PC in over a month straight and i did alot of gaming in BC2 and BF3 beta along with a couple MMO's i play, never had a single glitch and when tuning my car i was using DSM Link v2 software also never had a problem since i did the voltage bumps ( for those that dont know what DSM Link is its software that comes wtih a cord that plugs into your computer using USB then plugs into your cars ECU threw custom wiring) which was also funny because i read about ppl having to turn off there USB3.0 inorder to get the memory working, lol thats also false

so i guess my point is when reading reviews about something dont listen to about 70% of what ppl say because this MoBo is sexy it also comes with soooo many cool options that ill never even use, it looks greats with gskill memory and also runs great with it too at the full 8-8-8-24 1600mhz speeds ppl feel free to email with any questions

Back