• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASRock 870 Extreme3 + G.SKill memory: Bad combo: Need new RAM suggestion

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sektor

So ya, I have been fighting an issue since last fall with my new rig.
Random freezes, blue screens randomly. Incredibly frustrating.

Did the usual bouts of Memtest and THOUGHT I had found a bad stick of RAM, which I ended doing a RMA.

Anyway, I thought all was good and then BAM, it starts up again. Im pissed and start looking everywhere. I look at the mobo, heat, HD etc. etc. and really am at my wits end when I come across this post:

Post about ASRock Extreme3 and G.Skill memory

Hi there. I own the AsRock 870 Extreme 3 Motherboard myself and can offer a little insight on some issues I ran into with the G.Skill memory. I didn't use either one of the memories you listed but I did use this (Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL). It's also a G.Skill product that wasn't on their QVL list. To be honest I had NOTHING but issues with this G.Skill ram and this motherboard. The ram passed many many hours of memtest86 yet I still had random bluescreens from day one of building my new computer. Naturally since the ram passed I assumed it had to be something else and lets just say a couple windows installs later, hardware swaps and probably a 100 hours wasted on researching the issue only to realize it was the ram all along. I switched to some Corsair memory (Newegg.com - CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9) and haven't had one single issue since.

For whatever reason the AsRock board at least in my case seems to HATE G.Skill ram, or the ram hates it not sure what yet :p. If you do decide to try what you have my only advice is make sure ALL the timings are properly detected in bios, not just the main 4 timings. I noticed with everything set on auto the board was using timings 1-2 different than what they should be on a couple other timings. Once I did that the issue got a lot less worse with the G.Skill ram but I still had blue screens upon cold boot with that ram. I guess it's possible the ram was still defective even though it could seriously run for 24 hours passing memtest flawlessly but I don't know! I just mailed the ram back to them to see what they say two days ago.

Sorry for the long post I figured I'd offer my experience with similar ram and this motherboard. While researching I did find many other posts especially on G.Skill forums with issues with this board and their ram so just an FYI. Best of luck on your build! Oh and one last thing, make sure any 1600 DDR3 ram you install is installed in the two blue slots (further away from the cpu) as per motherboard manual recommendation.

Needless to say, I am using the EXACT same mobo and RAM as the above user. Symptoms sound just like mine

I have since reached out to that user but have not heard back yet.

Anyway, I have a feeling this is true.
I just did another memtest bout and it did freeze up.

So, I am by no means bashing this, it just sounds like a weird issue.

What I am hoping for is a recommendation on some new RAM.

I have had good luck with Corsair in the past, so I was thinking of going back to that.
Anybody have any suggestions?
No plans to OC my CPU or memory. Just want good, reliable and fast memory.

I really need to brush up my knowledge as far as case latency, timings and voltages as maybe that would help with the decision making.

I definitely want to make sure I get this right.
These last few weeks have really been a test for my patience. I have grey hairs now. :rofl:

Thanks for the help

TCG

The rated timings for those Ripjaws at DDR3-1600 are 9-9-9-24-2N at 1.5V. What's the current DRAM frequency, NB voltage, and DRAM voltage? And what are the four primary timings (CL, tRCD, tRP, and tRAS) currently set to, including the Memory Controller Mode (Unganged or Ganged)?

The rated timings for those Ripjaws at DDR3-1600 are 9-9-9-24-2N at 1.5V. What's the current DRAM frequency, NB voltage, and DRAM voltage? And what are the four primary timings (CL, tRCD, tRP, and tRAS) currently set to, including the Memory Controller Mode (Unganged or Ganged)?

I will try to find out that info and post back.

sektor said:
I was in the BIOS yesterday looking at things and a lot of the memory settings were set to AUTO.

Is there any place you can point me to, that will allow me to get a better understanding of what I can do to make sure I have the right memory settings?
Either open CPU-Z to the Memory tab, or CPU-Tweaker w/ the sub-Timings menu open, then post a pic. of either one. Again the settings you'll want to manually change are CL, tRCD, tRP, and tRAS to 9-9-9-24... this only if CPU-Z or CPU-Tweaker shows the timings as being set differently.

http://www.tweakers.fr/cputweaker.html

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    33.9 KB · Views: 1,092
So lots of research today.
Partly my fault for not doing my research, but this memory is not on the support list of the motherboard. :mad:

Also, poking around in the G.Skill forums, long thread about this exact memory and mobo here:

Memory and Mobo issue

I am going to try and work with the voltages when I get home. Seems the suggestion was to disable USB 3.0 and bring the voltages to around 1.47.

Outside of that, I am contemplating one of two things:

1.) get a different mobo that supports this memory
2.) get different memory

Sorta pissed and frustrated so trying to not make any rash decisions right now.

Appreciate the feedback.

Because it's impossible for board manufacturers to test every available model of RAM, the memory QVL only lists those specific modules that have been tested and are guaranteed to work w/ a particular board. So because the particular model of Ripjaws you have aren't listed in the QVL, that doesn't necessarily mean they aren't compatible w/ the board.

Because it's impossible for board manufacturers to test every available model of RAM, the memory QVL only lists those specific modules that have been tested and are guaranteed to work w/ a particular board. So because the particular model of Ripjaws you have aren't listed in the QVL, that doesn't necessarily mean they aren't compatible w/ the board.

Alright. That is comforting.

I will post my results when I get home tonight, hopefully we can make some progress on that.

Thanks for the help!

Sek

Ok.
Here is the screenshot:

cpuz_memory.png
[/IMG]

Also, set my voltage to 1.47 in the BIOS. I also set the memory speed to 1333
The thread above made a reference to that (and I shut off USB 3.0).

It appears to be setup as should be, but the poster above in the G.Skill boards made mention that all timings should be set to manual.

here is a screenshot from AMD Overdrive:

amd_OD.png

Just trying to provide as much info as possible.
Thx

I appreciate the help.

Last edited:
Just thought I would reply here.
I was looking at the numbers in AMD Overdrive and what was in the BIOS.
The numbers are pretty close, but some are off by just 1.
How accurate is AMD overdrive? Should I try and grab those settings and put them in the BIOS?

Secondly, suggestions on what I should put the memory speed at? Its at 667 right now.

I appreciate the help.

Sek

Go by the timings shown in CPU-Z or in the Memory section in the lower RH corner of Overdrive, which are currently set to 9-9-9-24-2T and a 3:10 FSB : DRAM ratio at a 200MHz HT Ref. Clock, what your modules are rated to run at an effective DDR3-1600. The timings shown in Overdrive are the SPD (Serial Presence Detect) timings, the same thing you'd see if you were to click on the SPD tab in CPU-Z. These are timings programmed into the SPD EEPROM of each module by the manufacturer, each group adjusted in accordance w/ differing frequencies, as shown in the pic. you posted (DDR3-1066 and 7-4-7-20, DDR3-1200 and 8-4-8-22, and DDR3-1333 and 9-5-9-25). In order for the RAM to run at its rated DDR3-1600 at a ref. clock of 200MHz, the FSB : DRAM ratio needs to be set to 2:8, or a memory frequency of DDR3-1600 selected from the list of available options. And make sure to manually adjust the DRAM voltage to 1.5 - 1.55V at 800MHz (DDR3-1600).

Go by the timings shown in CPU-Z or in the Memory section in the lower RH corner of Overdrive, which are currently set to 9-9-9-24-2T and a 3:10 FSB : DRAM ratio at a 200MHz HT Ref. Clock, what your modules are rated to run at an effective DDR3-1600. The timings shown in Overdrive are the SPD (Serial Presence Detect) timings, the same thing you'd see if you were to click on the SPD tab in CPU-Z. These are timings programmed into the SPD EEPROM of each module by the manufacturer, each group adjusted in accordance w/ differing frequencies, as shown in the pic. you posted (DDR3-1066 and 7-4-7-20, DDR3-1200 and 8-4-8-22, and DDR3-1333 and 9-5-9-25). In order for the RAM to run at its rated DDR3-1600 at a ref. clock of 200MHz, the FSB : DRAM ratio needs to be set to 2:8, or a memory frequency of DDR3-1600 selected from the list of available options. And make sure to manually adjust the DRAM voltage to 1.5 - 1.55V at 800MHz (DDR3-1600).

Alright. I will give that a shot. I will manually put those settings in the BIOS instead of letting it AUTO.

Since this memory is rated at 1.5v, I cannot set that voltage exactly. It is either 1.54 or I can drop it down to 1.47. Better option to use? Any issues with running the voltages at 1.47?

I guess another thing I am thinking about is:
*Should* things be more stable by manually putting in the timers in per the above screenshots from AMD OD or CPU-z, setting the voltage to 1.54 or 1.47 AND setting the memory frequency to DDR3-1600?

Thanks for all your help.

Sek

Adjust the DRAM voltage to 1.54V at DDR3-1600, and you can just leave the timings manually set to 9-9-9-24, w/ the Command Rate set to 2T. Boot to Memtest86+ loaded on a thumb drive, and if any errors appear then you may need to bump the NB voltage from the default. And you'll need to click on the Sub Tim. button at the bottom of CPU-Tweaker in order for me to see all of the current sub-timings.

Adjust the DRAM voltage to 1.54V at DDR3-1600, and you can just leave the timings manually set to 9-9-9-24, w/ the Command Rate set to 2T. Boot to Memtest86+ loaded on a thumb drive, and if any errors appear then you may need to bump the NB voltage from the default. And you'll need to click on the Sub Tim. button at the bottom of CPU-Tweaker in order for me to see all of the current sub-timings.

Alright to boot from a CD-ROM, or is USB better?

I will get that screenshot when I get home and post it as soon as I get it.

Sek

You can download the ISO and burn it to disk if you don't have a thumb drive, otherwise download the "Auto-installer for USB Key (Win 9x/2k/xp/7)" version.

here we go:

mem_sett2.png

adjust those times manually?

Thx

so i am making the changes on the BIOS...one timing I am struggling to find in the BIOS is the 'command rate (CR)'...trying to find something in there. Only thing I see is MA Timing....im missing something?

It could be listed as 2n, or 2t..

I have some gskill 2t ram as well. I didnt know it was 2T either lol. I should have known better since they were about half the price as other stuff at my brick and mortar at the time. Anyways.. On my UD5 it would run just fine at 2T, 1T would crap and puke all over the place. I am now useing them with my Adatas and they are running at 1T just fine, wich is truley a first. And it passed testing after a couple of voltage tweaks here and there :cool:

so I should probably just set the 'MA Timing' to 2T then (even though the memory is 2N)...

Appreciate the help!

Sek

Back