• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASRock 970 Pro3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
There IS a user posting in the AMD Cpu forum section whom has one of those dogs and in trying to help him with his board I have g00gled extensively for information and saw a number of people in other forums asking about that board and almost without fail those asked reponded with get a different motherboard.

From what I can see the bios is a major pain the rear with odd options for overclocking. If you are certain to overclock and have to have Asrock, most suggest the 990 Extreme 4 Asrock mobos. The Extreme 4 series have more power phases and better VRM cooling.

Not really. Please read the thread " Over Clocking *New to OC* " by RoY.Tunbo over in the CPU section who is running this board and having all kinds of challenges with the bios. Put a little more money into the purchase and get something that has heat sinks on the mosfets/VRM section of the board between the CPU socket and the I/O ports.

OK. I see that it´s limited. And regarding ASUS mobo´s what do you recommend??

Thanks for the explanations!!

What's your budget?

First I´m gathering options, to see what is what regarding MB´s. And I´m from Portugal, the prices maybe range differently from there. For example, the AsRock 970 Pro3 weighs in at ~70€ and the 990 Extreme3 at ~100€.

I would like to understand first and with your advices do the math later. :)

Thanks!!

Last edited:
You plan to upgrade within a year to the FX series of AMD processor. It makes one huge difference. You can get by with a middle of the road or slightly higher class board for a 965BE but if you think to move up to an FX-series processor you need to buy NOW with that idea in mind.

You plan to upgrade within a year to the FX series of AMD processor. It makes one huge difference. You can get by with a middle of the road or slightly higher class board for a 965BE but if you think to move up to an FX-series processor you need to buy NOW with that idea in mind.

I see. But bearing only in mind the 965BE which boards do you recommend currently for OC matters?

Oh crap I did not see you were from Portugal. What I found at NewEgg in the Usa will not do you much good most likely.

ASUS Crosshair IV Formula AM3 AMD 890FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

I did not know they had any of these left to sell new. This was about the very best AM3 motherboard that was made and sold. Pricey yes, but good and I have seen some flash a bios for FX series processor and use them with FX processor. These are very stout motherboards. You can find some cheaper boards for sure, but myself, I hate recommend other than the best. Most of the older AM3 boards are out of production. AM3+ boards are the norm now in the big etailer sites.

Give us a link to 'where' you will buy and we can look at what you CAN get over there.

Oh crap I did not see you were from Portugal. What I found at NewEgg in the Usa will not do you much good most likely.

ASUS Crosshair IV Formula AM3 AMD 890FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

I did not know they had any of these left to sell new. This was about the very best AM3 motherboard that was made and sold. Pricey yes, but good and I have seen some flash a bios for FX series processor and use them with FX processor. These are very stout motherboards. You can find some cheaper boards for sure, but myself, I hate recommend other than the best. Most of the older AM3 boards are out of production. AM3+ boards are the norm now in the big etailer sites.

Give us a link to 'where' you will buy and we can look at what you CAN get over there.

I´ve searched for some of the mobos that I see around here and I can also access them over here. My enquirie was more to see which brands are most suited for OC matters and the ones to stay away from. :)

The site that I use the most to search for products and prices is www.kuantokusta.pt

Thanks!!

Back