• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asrock Etreme 4 or Gigabyte UD3H - Z87

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

watchthisspace

Long time no post. Infact I think the last time I posted, it was about going Ivy Bridge which I sadly never got to :(

However, I'm going Haswell! CPU will be the 4670K and I just need a motherboard.

I want to get a nice overclock of 4.2Ghz, 4.5 would be nice, but I think that would be too much on air.

Given a choice, would you go for the Asrock Z87 Extreme 4 or Gigabyte Z87-UD3H?

http://www.dragonpc.co.nz/p.aspx?275310 - Asrock

http://www.dragonpc.co.nz/p.aspx?275318 - Gigabyte.

I'm leaning towards the Gigabyte as I've read it has better power regulation/delivery. But since I'm not going extreme in the O/Cing department, I could get away with the Extreme 4.

The RAM I've got is G.Skill Ripjaws X CL9: http://119.47.125.81/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=99778

I am most likely to go either nVidia 780 or AMD R9 290's in crossfire to get good performance at 1440p with eye candy.

Last edited:
I would go with the Gigabyte UD3H - Z87 I have had good luck with Gigabyte boards and when I have had a problem they have good service.:)

Last edited:
For what its worth, I've been running on UD3H for 48 hours and things seems solid, the board itself is quality.

Can't say anything about Asrock, never tried their boards.

For what its worth, I've been running on UD3H for 48 hours and things seems solid, the board itself is quality.

Can't say anything about Asrock, never tried their boards.

What's boot time like with the UD3H?? My friend has a P45 UD3H and it took forever to get to the Windows Loading screen. Lots of BIOS stuff going on? I'm not really sure.

Here is a video of the boot
click

This is pretty much with default bios settings, it probably can be faster if you disable some stuff? In my opinion it's pretty good as it is.

Either or... both are solid boards and will easily reach your overclocking goals... both of 'em.

Wait, what is a UD3H X87? I am not coming up with that board... you mean Z87 UD3H, right?

I'd go the Gigabyte purely because it's prettier... That's it. LOL. They're both fine boards and will do what you need of them. =)

I'd delve into any extra features one may or may not have over the other.

Here is a video of the boot
click

This is pretty much with default bios settings, it probably can be faster if you disable some stuff? In my opinion it's pretty good as it is.

Now that's a boat load faster compared to my friends Gigabyte board.

Either or... both are solid boards and will easily reach your overclocking goals... both of 'em.

Wait, what is a UD3H X87? I am not coming up with that board... you mean Z87 UD3H, right?

Whoops! I meant z87. Not sure why I keep thinking 'x' though.

Looks like it's the UD3H for me :D Cheers everyone!

Just got the UD4H this weekend and its pretty instant, and that is with fast boot disabled.

Haven't tried running RAID on the board as of yet, but that is the only thing i can think of that might give you a second or 2 wait before the OS starts to load.

Just got the UD4H this weekend and its pretty instant, and that is with fast boot disabled.

Haven't tried running RAID on the board as of yet, but that is the only thing i can think of that might give you a second or 2 wait before the OS starts to load.

Great to hear!

I ordered the UD3H today. So I should have the main parts ready to be installed come Saturday.

I'm still debating whether to grab a 500Gb Samsung 840 EVO and skip a few hours formatting as I do want to go to a larger SSD.

Back