• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASRock Z87 Extreme3 - Not booting, no beeps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ThaHenry

I've just received my new parts and put them together, but the mobo doesn't beep, there's no video being put out of the mobo's onboard gpu and it does not turn off automatically when i turn it on.

The specs are :

PSU : 600W
Mobo : ASRock Z87 Extreme3
RAM : 8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 DIMM CL9
CPU : Tested with Intel Core i5 4460 and Intel Core i7 4790

I currently run it without GPU to get it to boot, since adding more parts wouldn't change a thing.
Also tested it with 0 - 4 RAM Units inserted, each time the same result. There is no beep or screen turning on.
The monitor is connected via VGA, tried the DVI as well.

The Mobo Bios version is P2.10-15B, as the sticker says, but i can't flash it because i don't have a way to enter the bios.
I also verified that all power plugs are working and i also fully reset CMOS overnight.

Here is a picture of the current board:
c8a72e37b0897382bb1567b075e458c5.jpg

If anything is missing please let me know!
Can anyone tell me what could be wrong?

Confused...
the mobo's onboard gpu and it does not turn off automatically when i turn it on.
1. Gpu is on the cpu. :)
2. Does not turn off automatically when i turn it on... whaat??
I currently run it without GPU to get it to boot,
but you just said it cant boot???

Does that bios version support the cpus you are trying?? Check mobo site and cpu compatibility list.

Edit: you need bios 2.40 or later to support those cpus.

Confused...
1. Gpu is on the cpu. :)

Heh sorry fail on my part,
i didn't touch the gpu onboard, i meant a gtx 780 i would run on the setup but removed it for now :)

2. Does not turn off automatically when i turn it on... whaat??
but you just said it cant boot???

When i short the power sw, the mobo turns on, the cpu fan starts spinning and that's it,
from then on the mobo stays on ( so yes it boots in a way ), but i don't get any beeps, it doesn't get to POST.

Edit: you need bios 2.40 or later to support those cpus.

How would i update the bios if i can't get into the bios?

Find the cheapest cpu on that list your current bios supports and flash it to the latest version.

Or see if you can find that bios chip with 2.40 online and replace it...

Find the cheapest cpu on that list your current bios supports and flash it to the latest version.

Or see if you can find that bios chip with 2.40 online and replace it...

Unfortunatly i have many cpus and not a single one is supported.
The cheapest cpu i could get is about 60€, so i will likely just send this mobo back and order a different mobo with updated bios.

Thanks for the quick responses! :)

Don't know about the i3 but the i7 4790 is the second generation Haswell "refresh" which generally needed a Z97 chipset, though the motherboard manufactures did provide bioses that would make them compatible for some of their boards.

I looked it up he needs the bios flash for both of those chips .

Take it to a local shop they might do it for free .

Back