• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASRock Extreme 6 - Questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Skwall

Registered
So I recently upgraded my rig with a i5 4690k and a ASRock Extreme 6 Mobo. After testing then installing the hardware everything seemed OK until I got into the installation portion of the OS. Once the Windows installation loaded I lost mouse and keyboard. I ended up using a usb extension from the USB port built on the mobo at the bottom. I tried messing with the BIOS settings for USB 3 but nothing would bring it to life. Has anyone else had these issues? My keyboard is a Logitec G510 and my mouse is a Razer Imperator.

Have you tried a USB 2.0 port?
Did you install the USB 3.0 drivers?

Have you tried a USB 2.0 port?
Did you install the USB 3.0 drivers?

The only USB 2.0 ports on the board are the one's that are pinned out to the front USB. The 6 ports on the back of the board are all USB3.0 according to the manual and their color. Once I got the OS installed and installed the USB3 drivers, everything works normally. I even made a macrium image so I can use Hirens BCD later to restore that image of a fresh install including drivers and maybe save myself that trouble. I was just more curious if anyone else had issues with their keyboard/mouse not working during the O/S Installation.

That's common, actually, and is why ASRock put that internal port in.

USB 3.0 drivers for newer boards aren't included in Windows 7 most times, that's why you lost kb/mouse.

That's common, actually, and is why ASRock put that internal port in.

USB 3.0 drivers for newer boards aren't included in Windows 7 most times, that's why you lost kb/mouse.

Perfect. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing something wrong. I only just upgraded my x58 board to this z97 one. Lots of little things that are different. I'm sure you'll see more posts from me as I go haha :p

Perfect. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing something wrong. I only just upgraded my x58 board to this z97 one. Lots of little things that are different. I'm sure you'll see more posts from me as I go haha :p

Nope, nothing wrong at all :)
In fact, you went around it perfectly!

Just update this thread if it's another fairly simple question, I've got a lot of hands-on experience with this board.
I'll see this updated in my threads list :thup:

I'll add this oddball thing on mine (Extreme6...love the board).

I have a logitech wireless mouse. My keyboard is PS/2, so I use the receiver's USB.

When I boot to UEFI, mouse works fine.

When I boot to Windows, receiver is powered off. I have to pull the cable and reseat. It works every time, but it's the only strange thing loosely related.

I have a logitech wireless mouse. My keyboard is PS/2, so I use the receiver's USB.

When I boot to Windows, receiver is powered off. I have to pull the cable and reseat. It works every time, but it's the only strange thing loosely related.

That IS weird and it sounds annoying. Is it an older mouse?

I had something similar happen with my old system (960T on 970 Ext.3), on almost every reboot, I had to replug my mouse. I got tired of it, myself.

I had something similar happen with my old system (960T on 970 Ext.3), on almost every reboot, I had to replug my mouse. I got tired of it, myself.

Well, I don't boot but about once a week once my overclocks are settled :D, so the mouse is ok for at least a year.

My mouse (Steelseries Xai) has never worked in BIOS. If I use another mouse I can use it in BIOS but not my Xai.
Unrelated but it's mouse weirdness so I thought I'd add it to the conversation.

Yes the bios thing stumped me as well once I installed this board, I did use the rear USB ports and made some changes under the USB sub menu within bios to enable the ports to work by disabling usb 3

There are settings in the USB that need to be disabled. I had similar issues where I had no mouse on my Z87 Extreme 6 and I disable a setting and it worked fine ... I don't have that board running in a box right now so I can't be specific. It's either disable legacy USB support or disable legacy USB 3.0 support .... I think it's 3.0.

SS

Back