• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASRock Fatal1ty 990FX Killer vs Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yes, water temps were in the -1 to -2 c range I'm sure there is more in it when I can get -10 to -15c water on it.

if i remember right, that may be the board i took to the cold room and couldn't keep a video card in the slot.
5.7 out of it, that's awesomness.
I am so looking forward to seeing it at 6.0!!!!!!!!!!!

Here is another thread...

...another thread about choosing a 990FX AMD motherboard.
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/752902-Help-choosing-a-990FX-mobo

bob4933 writes in that thread about his move to the Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 from the Asrock KILLER 990 board. He straight up says the Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 is better for him than the KILLER was.

The problem for me is that the FX Bulldozer and Piledriver series of cpus has been out now for nearly 3.2 years and most of us that help in the AMD forum sections have had mostly 8 core processors in use for that entire 3.2 years. If you look at the overclocks of the say johan45 and mandrake4565, you will see some pretty freeken HI overclocks and benches. Not even on LN2 or DICE and speeds on FX-8xxx and FX-9xxx in one situation that are touching the 6.0Ghz speed range. THEN they take the same board and run day in and day out and have now for at least 2.5 years. Bassnut has his system running at 4.9Ghz daily with an FX-8350 and all of these daily drivers are using ALL cores when clocked up and not just one half the cores but ALL the cores when running the daily big numbers greater than 4.7Ghz. Each of these guys has gone thru the lesser boards to settle on either the Sabertooth 990FX or the CHV and have had the boards in service at very high daily clocks and still when cold weather comes they move their radiators into the outside cold and again begin to *thrash* their boards and cpus relentlessly.

That is the measure of a motherboard of any kind to me. People that I actually know run fast everyday AND will push their systems to the very outer edge of realistic and the stuff just keeps on a-ticken. That is what determines my most favored motherboard. Not price or color but consistent results.
RGone...ster.

...another thread about choosing a 990FX AMD motherboard.
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/752902-Help-choosing-a-990FX-mobo

bob4933 writes in that thread about his move to the Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 from the Asrock KILLER 990 board. He straight up says the Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 is better for him than the KILLER was.

The problem for me is that the FX Bulldozer and Piledriver series of cpus has been out now for nearly 3.2 years and most of us that help in the AMD forum sections have had mostly 8 core processors in use for that entire 3.2 years. If you look at the overclocks of the say johan45 and mandrake4565, you will see some pretty freeken HI overclocks and benches. Not even on LN2 or DICE and speeds on FX-8xxx and FX-9xxx in one situation that are touching the 6.0Ghz speed range. THEN they take the same board and run day in and day out and have now for at least 2.5 years. Bassnut has his system running at 4.9Ghz daily with an FX-8350 and all of these daily drivers are using ALL cores when clocked up and not just one half the cores but ALL the cores when running the daily big numbers greater than 4.7Ghz. Each of these guys has gone thru the lesser boards to settle on either the Sabertooth 990FX or the CHV and have had the boards in service at very high daily clocks and still when cold weather comes they move their radiators into the outside cold and again begin to *thrash* their boards and cpus relentlessly.

That is the measure of a motherboard of any kind to me. People that I actually know run fast everyday AND will push their systems to the very outer edge of realistic and the stuff just keeps on a-ticken. That is what determines my most favored motherboard. Not price or color but consistent results.
RGone...ster.

Good post mate. I wish I had some cold air to place my rad in. Can't seem to find any in S. FL :p

UD3 may OC a bit better if it has LLC.

Killer is still decent, and has much better onboard sound and NIC. I had 2 of em

I know my Rev. 4 UD3 has LLC. I set mine to EXTREME and there is +/- .01 variance at 5.1GHz under load.

Thats a good OC for a 100$ mobo.
Heh, me I just ordered a crosshair V to replace a faulty killer I have. Previous killer was good though. This one wont allow changing Vcore correctly, previous one did so fine.

Huh? Im just suprised a UD3 can do that. Guess you got a good chip as well. I couldnt get past 4.7 with even an extreme 9 :(

Well when you get the CHV-z the board will no longer be the hold-up. I have covered a lot of ground looking at CHVs for 4 years now and the board was never an issue. Cooling and cpus and ram having been the hold-up. There were some problems on the CHV non-z with the NICs failing and Asus of course would fix all sent to them for that issue and did. A few issues with sound a couple of years ago, but NADA about not overclocking the PEE out of a cpu.
RGone...ster.

Last edited:
Well when you get the CHV-z the board will not longer be the hold-up. I have covered a lot of ground looking at CHVs for 4 years now and the board was never an issue. Cooling and cpus and ram having been the hold-up. There were some problems on the CHV non-z with the NICs failing and Asus of course would fix all sent to them for that issue and did. A few issues with sound a couple of years ago, but NADA about not overclocking the PEE out of a cpu.
RGone...ster.

Yeah Im getting the Z version. Thx for letting me know about the non Z, I didnt even bother with that cause it doesnt support secure boot. Main reason I got the Z is cause of onboard sound and VRM design I could care less about the rest. Sabertooth was 2nd choice but didnt like the sound card. Z has built in X fi

Yeah I think you can run the bad boy driver for the sound or the one from the chipset which is generic. So plenty of ways to do the sound. Heck I ran my CHV non-z on the windows driver for over a year and only had to swap the driver when I wanted to use AudaCity.
RGone...

Back