• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SCREEN WITH STRANGE LINES COLORS LETTERS OBJECTS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LIOTB

Hello OC Community!

Thank you very much a head of time for your help!

THE MACHINE:
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 rev. 1.1
Graphics card: Saphire Radeon ATI HD 4870 Graphics Card
RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600
CPU: AMD FX-4100

THE PROBLEM (see pictures):
For some reason I keep seeing strange artifacts (colors, lines, and blocks, letters and symbols that change in old style graphics characters). Also, whenever it gets to the windows startup screen after a moment the screen goes black and never comes back.

ATTEMPTS SO FAR:
1. different graphics card
2. re-seated the ram, tried different ram, switched the ram positions, tested the ram
3. used a different OS
4. used a different screen and cables
5. set the BIOS on default
6. checked all the "caps" (none swollen)
7. switched graphics card slots
8. disconnected hard drive and used USB OS drive
9. replaced the bad PSU

What do you think?

Thank you again!
(PS. this computer, along with many others, is for charity and going to be donated to a school. I just need a little help to get this last one ready)

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 197
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 199
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 199
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 199
Last edited:
:welcome:

Since you've tried a different GPU (in addition to everything else you've tried), this would have to be a bad motherboard. Supporting my thought on that is that you had to replace a bad PSU which could easily have done damage to the MB. Before I finished reading your question I though that it had to be the GPU but you already ruled that out.

Edit: Also, because this happens in the BIOS screen, it could not be something like drivers/software related.

:welcome:

Since you've tried a different GPU (in addition to everything else you've tried), this would have to be a bad motherboard. Supporting my thought on that is that you had to replace a bad PSU which could easily have done damage to the MB. Before I finished reading your question I though that it had to be the GPU but you already ruled that out.

Edit: Also, because this happens in the BIOS screen, it could not be something like drivers/software related.

Thank you, don256us, for your quick and thoughtful response and for the confirmation on the drivers/software. Do you know of any way to test (definitively) and fix the board?

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

Board is shot unless you're using an equally bad PSU again.

Thank you Mr.Scott for your quick reply and direct reply. No the new PSU is brand new, so it's the board. Do you know of any way to test (definitively) and fix the board?

Last edited:
You can try baking the motherboard in an oven. This cures only things like soldered traces that lose integrity. It will not fix bad components like capacitors or mosfets. There are instructions on the internet for doing this if you are interested. Just remove any plastic parts first that are removable like the retention rails for the CPU cooler.

First, I would inspect the motherboard visually under good light to check for leaking or blown capacitors and mosfets, burned traces, etc.

You can try baking the motherboard in an oven. This cures only things like soldered traces that lose integrity. It will not fix bad components like capacitors or mosfets. There are instructions on the internet for doing this if you are interested. Just remove any plastic parts first that are removable like the retention rails for the CPU cooler.

First, I would inspect the motherboard visually under good light to check for leaking or blown capacitors and mosfets, burned traces, etc.

Hello trents,

Interesting suggestion, I have done that before and it didn't work but then again that was an HP. However, this time I didn't think of it. I will take a very careful look at the board as you suggest and get back with you. Thank you very much for your time and your counsel.

You are welcome. Doesn't sound like you'd have anything to lose by baking.

Back